Disappointed with Nexus 400w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tripitz

Disappointed with Nexus 400w

Post by Tripitz » Wed May 14, 2003 9:05 pm

I've used the Nexus 300w and have been extremely happy with it. Unfortunately, I just received my 400w version and I'm displeased with the results. I added it to a water cooling rig as I thought it would be the the key to a quiet system. By far, after about 5 minutes of use, the noisiest part of my system is the PSU. Granted, I am drawing power in terms of an AIT9700Pro, 2 scsi drives, and a p4 2.4 running at 3.0, but I dno't see why it has to operate so loud while the system is idling and the cpu and video card are not drawing much power. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm guessing the answer will be the obvious one.. toss the scsi drives (whcih are extremely quiet by the way) and the 9700 pro and undervolt the cpu at an underclocked speed to keep power consumption down?

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed May 14, 2003 9:30 pm

Hmmm...if you're watercooling this should be a problem, but I have to say it anyways... What's your case temperature at?

Tripitz

Post by Tripitz » Thu May 15, 2003 8:23 am

My temps in the case are roughly 31C, which is down from where I used to be before I went watercooling. My cpu runs at 38 to 39 and 41 at max load. I do have 1 80mm Papst running in the back and a slow moving 120mm fan on the radiator. Overall, temps are great in the new setup.

I am very disappointed though on anther front. The 12v rail is definitely not in the range that I'd want it to be at. My video card has cut out now even though it is on its own line. Hmm....

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu May 15, 2003 5:43 pm

Your case temps sound pretty reasonable. A defective unit?