Vain search for really quiet PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:50 am

Kostik,

Yeah, I have all the same mods as you, except the CPU exhaust duct. I can't seem to be able to fit one inside my case intelligently. I will do that with my next case upgrade though.

Moving the thermal sensor inside PSU did help some, but only increased the time after which the PSU fan starts to scream :)

I know I could do more blowholes, but it defeats the purpose of silent computing and diminishes the effect of my damping material.

I'm already down to a reasonable case temp of c. 41-45 under a longer term heavy load on my computer. I don't think the case temp is the culprit. I wish the PSU in question had a nicer fan controller (like the Seasonic has).

To be honest, I'm so tired of spending €700-900 on power supplies and have most of them disappoint me.

I'm really itching for that fanless, case = heatsink, passively cooled high end PC with an external fanless/super high efficiency/massive heatsink PSU.

It'll happen one day. Almost all the parts are there on the field. Somebody just needs to put them together and start selling it.

Could be costly, but I sure would buy one :)

regards,
Halcyon