Experiences- Enermax Modu/Pro82+ 425W/525W? Are they silent?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Dracula

Post by Dracula » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

I've got a PRO82+ 425W and it's quiet. When i turn on the psu only, i can hear a tickling sound : i guess it's from the motor of the fan? Is this normal ?
Not that it bothers me because my hdd covers it up...
Hi, I bought PRO82+ 525W and I hear a ticling (clicking) sound when only psu is on. When I power on HDD (suspended in Antec SOLO) I can't hear clicking any more...hdd is much louder. I don't know if it's normal too. Could someone else say anything about it?

DonQ

Post by DonQ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Dracula wrote:
I've got a PRO82+ 425W and it's quiet. When i turn on the psu only, i can hear a tickling sound : i guess it's from the motor of the fan? Is this normal ?
Not that it bothers me because my hdd covers it up...
Hi, I bought PRO82+ 525W and I hear a ticling (clicking) sound when only psu is on. When I power on HDD (suspended in Antec SOLO) I can't hear clicking any more...hdd is much louder. I don't know if it's normal too. Could someone else say anything about it?
I think it's because the fan is controlled by PWM. I have tried PWM fan speed controllers on many different fans and found that many click at low speeds, some worse than others. There's ways to reduce the clicking, for example with an attenuator and probably by changing the shape of the PWM signal.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:19 pm

DonQ wrote: I think it's because the fan is controlled by PWM.
Although the original review here identified the fan as a PWM model new information has been added to the last page stating that instead of being a PWM model the fan is a special bi-voltage fan. Although I never noticed the clicking before, if I place my ear extremely close to the exhaust I do hear a faint clicking of my 425w Modu82.

anakintjc

Post by anakintjc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 am

@Dracula: i think i'm in the same situation...

Michael, did you test it with the psu powered on only?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am

Hello,

It might also be the bearings making the ticking noise?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 pm

anakintjc wrote:Michael, did you test it with the psu powered on only?
No. Everything was running but the clicking was so faint that it would not be audible in any system at a distance of two feet. I can only hear it with my ear to the exhaust.

Energie

Post by Energie » Sat May 31, 2008 7:51 am

I've got the modu82+ 625w and it's definitely not a quiet power supply. The fan in the PSU is noisy and in a quiet room it's audible at 3 meters/10 feet. Just tested this with my 4 Samsung T166 HDD disconnected, else the noise of my HDDs would mask the noise of the PSU. My Nexus 12cm casefan @7v, which is inaudible, wins hands down compared to the noise coming from this PSU

Besides the whole this PSU is not quiet thing, the supplied cables are too short (coming from someone with an Antec SOLO case).
Last edited by Energie on Sat May 31, 2008 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ven

Post by Ven » Sat May 31, 2008 12:27 pm

I've got Pro82+ 625W and was told to RMA (just need to get backup PSU).

I can clearly hear "shhhhhh" fan noise and some rattling, with both case open and closed. PSU electronics produce no noise that I can hear. Fan readout says 500RPM, my comp is in el-cheapo case, but it's modified to be more quiet. Other parts: 3x Artic Cooling Fan 3 TC (1100RPM), Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (1000RPM), Samsung F1 1TB with Scythe anti-vibes, Hitachi 160GB disk (no accoustic management) placed on cloth + foam, reference 8800GTS 512.

With windows closed, I can hear the PSU over the rest of the system from around 6-7 meters (can't check from more becasue of shape of my house).

When I turn F@H on, fan speeds go up and reach something around 1500RPM an PSU fan, which is still at 500RPM noise is still the most significant, but not that dominant. While gaming I can hear its nosie over 8800 fan. That's not the characteristic we might expect from 500RPM fan.

I guess that Enermax team has to be more careful with quality control, because it looks like these PSUs, when working properly produce very little noise.

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:21 pm

I can vouch for the need for better quality control as well as better RMA handling. Still waiting on my RMA'd 425 PSU - comming via pony express and should be here Wednesday (shipped outbound 5-22). I'll post and update to my experience later this week.

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Pony Express (UPS) left a package at my front door tonight, so I installed my replacement 425W I I can say it is a very quite PSU. I would not classify it as silent but it is more than quite enough for most applications at this point.

Now for the con - My first unit was ordered from NewEgg back on April 15. This unit was found to be defective and would power itself off after about 3-5 minutes if that (so far the new one has been up about 20-25 minutes). So at first I took a shot at an RMA with Enermax and sent in an RMA request. I also posted here about my experience so far - and got a fast reply on the forum that I should send in an RMA request (which I was done).

viewtopic.php?t=47966

The long and the short of it was Enermax fell off the face of the Earth and I got no replies back after multiple emails. So I ended up finally sending an RMA to NewEgg which I feel a little bad about as it clearly was a defective product not a fault of NewEgg.

--

So on technical merits I can recommend the Enermax Modu82+ 425W, the support side however has me giving a thumbs down. Failing to provide timely support is a killer even if you have a good product. :!:

krille

Post by krille » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 am

So would you deem the Modu/Pro82+ series as quieter than the Seasonic S12-II/E+s and the Corsair HX supplies?

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 pm

krille wrote:So would you deem the Modu/Pro82+ series as quieter than the Seasonic S12-II/E+s and the Corsair HX supplies?
I have not used either the Seasonic S12-II/E+s and the Corsair HX, but it is quiter than the Seasonic MII-600 that I have used in estmation (I do not have a db meter).

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 am

Let me throw a scenario on the fire:

viewtopic.php?t=48416
zenzero-2001 wrote:I have recently completed my new build. Unfortunately there is a loud tapping noise coming from the Enermax Modu82+ PSU. It sounds like the blades of the fan are hitting the metal grill as they rotate

Other than the tapping the PSU is very quiet; in fact, the whole system is very quiet!
---
Okay, I have taken my computer to pieces. I then tested the PSU outside the case connected to the motherboard on a wooden table.

Outside of the case, the tapping noise is still apparent. However, I still cannot see where the fan blades are contacting anything.
---
I have found out what is causing the tapping.

I took the grill off the PSU and I can see that the blades of the fans are hitting the nodule of a cable tie. So I have pushed the cable tie around with the aid of a screwdriver so that it is no longer in the way of the fan. Simple, huh? :lol:

So, if your fan in your Enermax PSU is tapping, it could be something that simple.
Good news, he fixed the problem.
Bad news, he had to troubleshoot the issue himself.

Energie

Post by Energie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:25 am

krille wrote:So would you deem the Modu/Pro82+ series as quieter than the Seasonic S12-II/E+s and the Corsair HX supplies?
Corsair HX suffers from a high pitched noise.

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:28 am

dhanson865 wrote:Let me throw a scenario on the fire:

viewtopic.php?t=48416
zenzero-2001 wrote:I have recently completed my new build. Unfortunately there is a loud tapping noise coming from the Enermax Modu82+ PSU. It sounds like the blades of the fan are hitting the metal grill as they rotate

Other than the tapping the PSU is very quiet; in fact, the whole system is very quiet!
---
Okay, I have taken my computer to pieces. I then tested the PSU outside the case connected to the motherboard on a wooden table.

Outside of the case, the tapping noise is still apparent. However, I still cannot see where the fan blades are contacting anything.
---
I have found out what is causing the tapping.

I took the grill off the PSU and I can see that the blades of the fans are hitting the nodule of a cable tie. So I have pushed the cable tie around with the aid of a screwdriver so that it is no longer in the way of the fan. Simple, huh? :lol:

So, if your fan in your Enermax PSU is tapping, it could be something that simple.
Good news, he fixed the problem.
Bad news, he had to troubleshoot the issue himself.
Enermax Support is non-existent and has killed my ability to recommend anything from them. Next build I will most likely use Seasonic - but definitely not Enermax. Failing to provide timely support is a killer even if you have a good product. :x

krille

Post by krille » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:42 am

Energie wrote:
Corsair HX suffers from a high pitched noise.
Does the S12-II and S12-E+ suffer from this as well? Or are they slightly better than the Corsair HX'es? (According to the Recommended list they're at the same spot noise-wise.)