A silent Antec TruePower 430W: read all my posts...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

axrj

A silent Antec TruePower 430W: read all my posts...

Post by axrj » Mon May 19, 2003 1:47 pm

I own an Antec 1080 AMG case equiped with the famous TruePower 430W PSU. :twisted: Can I safely swap the original 80mm fan with a NoiseBlocker S2?

I want to get a significant change in noise reduction, will this mod make it? For info, the NoiseBlocker 380W PSU is made of a NoiseBlocker S2 80mm and the same one as the Antec as 92mm... and is silent if I believe tests seen on the Web. :shock:

Also, before opening the PSU, can you tell me if there are connectors to plug the fans into or will I need to weld ?? :?:

Thanks in advance for your support!
Last edited by axrj on Sun May 25, 2003 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Mon May 19, 2003 1:50 pm

Apparently this mod is very easy on the TruePowers being as the fans use connectors and both fans are one piece of metal (not 100% on this last one).

Im gonna replace my fans as soon as I can find some Panaflo M1As....

skymaster

Post by skymaster » Fri May 23, 2003 4:11 am

axrj, does your TP430 produce a lot of noise? Mine does, and I found out that it's the 92mm intake fan at the bottom that is the culprit. If you block that one (with your finger or whatever) there is virtually no noise left, so replacing the 80mm one at the back may not buy you much in terms of silence.
Having said that, replacing the 92 one could be a different story altogether, if you can get a better fan with lower rpm or better calibrated/centered.

If you've tried blocking the bottom fan, can you let me know if you find the same thing? (just press your finger or a q-tip bud against the middle and it'll slow down and stop immediately) I'm currently RMA'ing my psu because of this problem in fact, so would be very interested in knowing this.

regards, s.

axrj

Post by axrj » Fri May 23, 2003 5:57 am

I have already made the test you ask for and I come to the following conclusion: the noise's source is purely aerodynamic, it comes from the air flow between the fans.

I have found a site (in French) that reviews 8 PSU including the Antec TruePower 380W. If you compare it with the NoiseBlocker 380W, also reviewed, you will see that both are made by the same manufacturer (CWT) and use the same 92mm fan... the only difference comes from the 80mm which rotates more slowly on the NoiseBlocker (it's a S2) and is limited to 2000 RPM, therefore the NoiseBlocker is more silent. Have a look:

http://www.materiel.be/alims/8quietpsu/intro.php

My cheaper solution instead of replacing the 80mm fan is to place a potentiometer (470 Ohm) into the PSU, between the fan and the PSU connector, without having to cut or unsolder anything, I use the original connectors. I am now able to reduce slightly its speed. Believe me, the result is very good and the PSU is much more silent.

Don't worry about heat because the default voltage received by the potentiometer is 5V, so, when it comes hotter, the PSU will give 7 or 12V and the fan speed will increase anyway, the potentiometer being calibrated on 12V. :lol:

BUT I still need an answer for this: is the 3-pin cable coming out the PSU to monitor the 80mm fan speed... able to "control" its speed or not?! I was not able to collect any fan speed with my AOpen MB using SpeedFan... but someone gave me the solution (Configure -> Advanced -> choose Chip -> Adjust Fan divisor -> Set divisor to : 8 for example) that I must try.

So, if this cable doesn't allow to control fan speed... you can use my solution... or simply replace the fan with a slowest one.

I hope this helps... :P

skymaster

Post by skymaster » Sun May 25, 2003 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I agree it's some turbulence noise. I found that my 92mm goes so fast that some of the air even comes out via the back of the psu (inside the computer). My particular unit has a slightly unbalanced 92mm fan as well, to make it perfect.

I checked that site out. It's a good article.

I guess you opened your psu up; so the fans have standard 3-pin connectors inside the psu then?

You got the potentiometer in a standard hardware shop?

I don't know whether the fan speed is controllable. My hardware monitoring device shows PSU fan speed if you plug the blue 3-pin connector in the appropriate socket, but it show only 1 speed, typically about 1500 rpm. No way the 92mm goes that slow, at least not in my unit. I certainly can't change the fan speed via the software; but that may be a limitation of the monitoring software. Perhaps MBM can do something, though on my other rig it doesn't have any such options.

regards,
s

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 25, 2003 2:30 pm

BUT I still need an answer for this: is the 3-pin cable coming out the PSU to monitor the 80mm fan speed... able to "control" its speed or not?!
Nope. They are invariably for speed monitoring. In one version of an Enermax, I believe it was actually necessary for the voltage to the 80mm fan, but I think they discontinued it.

axrj

Post by axrj » Sun May 25, 2003 11:23 pm

I have made an attempt to control fan speed with SpeedFan and I agree with you, it doesn't work, it only allows to get fan speed.

Both fans are connected to the same power plug into the PSU, so, knowing they have the same specifications, they must be running at the same speed at 5V: 1500 RPM.

An annoying point for me: the connectors are 2-pin. I have found 2-pin connectors at my electronic shop but not exactly of the same type... and because I didn't want to change anything into the PSU, I have had to play with different types. But the result is good, I am now running the 80mm at 1000 RPM which is a big noise difference! :twisted: