Nexus 300W vs. Q-technology 300W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

haral

Nexus 300W vs. Q-technology 300W

Post by haral » Sat May 24, 2003 5:03 am

I'm thinking of buying a new power supply and I don't know which one is the quieter one. Well Nexus is more silent but there's a huge climb in noise output when you are using power more than 150W and if case temperature is high, the nexus will keep more sound than Q-techology because Q-technology won't rise so much it's fan rpm.

So which one could be the quieter one? Currently I have one fan below the power supply at 5 volts. And i'm planning to buy one papst to suck fresh air from bottom of the case. My temperatures are quite low, cpu about 35 - 43 C and system temp about 33 C. My current power supply is Codegen 350W and it's fan is running about 5-7 volts and the air it puts out is cold. So is my system cool enough to handle nexus or shoul I take the Q-technology?

And the system is: 1.7 GHz [email protected] GHz and undervolted. Matrox G550 and Maxtor 60Gb. Motherboard is Epox - 4G4A+.

Thanks for all replies. :)

SpyderCat

Re: Nexus 300W vs. Q-technology 300W

Post by SpyderCat » Sat May 24, 2003 5:36 am

haral wrote:I'm thinking of buying a new power supply....
Thanks for all replies. :)
Okay, you have a hard time choosing between two possible solutions.

Your PSU-fan is spinning slowly.
Your exhaust air from the PSU is cool.
Now, what is the problem you're trying to solve?

haral

Post by haral » Sat May 24, 2003 6:19 am

Because I'm not sure about the wattage consumption. If the system is using about 150W of power, the Q-technology will be quieter.

And somebody was saying that Q-technology keeps the voltage levels better than Nexus.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat May 24, 2003 6:47 am

Your wattage consumption is unlikely to be anywhere near 150W for a Celeron and a Matrox 550 card.

My guess is that you are using less than 100W DC.

So I would go for the Nexus. :D

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Sat May 24, 2003 6:48 am

haral wrote:Because I'm not sure about the wattage consumption. If the system is using about 150W of power, the Q-technology will be quieter.

And somebody was saying that Q-technology keeps the voltage levels better than Nexus.
Not quite what I meant.
I meant to ask: What is the problem you are trying to solve with a new PSU?

Dukla2000 and I found that our rigs (with AMD Athlons @ 2150 MHz) use less than 90 watts DC (on average, under load), a far cry from 150 Watts steady consumption.
I can't speak for the Q-technology, but the Nexus is very quiet when you can supply it with cool air for cooling itself.
You mention 33 degrees as a case temperature.
For your current system this seems high to me.
Did you take a temperature reading yourself, or are you quoting the reading from the MoBo-sensor. In general the MoBo-sensor gives a temperature-reading several degrees higher than the actual air-temperature in your case.

Regards, Han.

haral

Post by haral » Sat May 24, 2003 11:52 pm

The case temperature is from the motherboard sensor, so the air what's in the case is cool because the case exhaust fan and the power fan pushes cold air out. So I'll take the nexus. Thank you very much for all the replies. :)