Molex to PCI-E

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Snow

Molex to PCI-E

Post by Snow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 pm

I've posted this in the stickyg thread which seems like a bad idea so here goes (apologies for double post)

I fried my previous 7800GT (memory related I think though) and just want to make sure I'm running my rig properly.

I'm running the following system with a Seasonic S12-430W:

- Q6600 (G0) @ 3Ghz
- 3 SATA drives
- 8800GT
- 2x2GB RAM
- Audigy 2 ZS
- Gigabyte P35-DS3P

Fans:

- Front 12cm Kama Bay @12V
- Front Papst 12cm @ 7V
- Rear Tri-cool 12cm @ 7V
- Scythe Ninja @ 7V
- Zalman VF700 @ 5V

Since the Seasonic supports PCI-express but does not provide a power connector I have to use a 2xMolex to PCI adapter.
I have used 2 molex connectors from the same line to power the 8800GT.
According to what I have been reading the amps will be provided through the single rail if needed, is that correct?
I only have the 8800GT connected to the rail (shortest rail)
Also, if the rails would provide seperate amps how do you recognize them as V1 and V2?

Thx

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 am

I don't fully understand what you mean. The multiple +12v rails of your PSU has little to do with your graphics card.

The reason for dual molex to a single PCIe connector is that it's good to reduce the current for each individual cable for stability and safety reasons.

The 6pin PCIe connector is three +12v and three ground. The 4pin molex is one +12v, and two ground (and also a +5v that is not used in this case).