taking apart shuttle PC62?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

taking apart shuttle PC62?

Post by shleepy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Has anyone taken apart a Shuttle PC62? I'm curious as to how big the internal (DC-DC) component is without the bulky metal casing. I have a feeling that the enclosure is only that big to make it "compatible" with the intended Shuttle systems... right?

nicke2323

Re: taking apart shuttle PC62?

Post by nicke2323 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

shleepy wrote:Has anyone taken apart a Shuttle PC62? I'm curious as to how big the internal (DC-DC) component is without the bulky metal casing. I have a feeling that the enclosure is only that big to make it "compatible" with the intended Shuttle systems... right?
I just found a German review which has this nice picture of its internals:
http://www.barebonecenter.de/images/sto ... c62-09.jpg

The review begins here:
http://www.barebonecenter.de/index.php/ ... zteil.html

On page 4 the reviewer comments on its sound. He says the PSU is dead silent with no electronic noise, even at max load. The same goes for the external power brick when listening "from a small distance".

On page 5 he even successfully overclocks his E8400 test system from 3.0 GHz to 4.165 Ghz and his HD3850 from 720/900 MHz to 750/1050 MHz, with a resulting max load of 205W and PSU temperatures of 47C (internal) and 49C (external brick). He reports no problems after running several benchmarks and a few hours of gaming. Amazing!

This sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm definitely giving this little unit a try in my next build. It appears the PicoPSU has a worthy competitor!

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 pm

Actually, i got this now, and I am not happy with it (at least in theory).

First of all, the internal component take up most of the space in the metal box. There is a big heatsink in there and whatnot, so you can't even save much vertical space. This might not matter for most people, but I don't think there is any good way of making it fit into my Silverstone SG05 without some major sacrifices.

Secondly, the power connectors.... WAAAAY too short. This is mostly in regards to the P4 cable and the 20-pin power cable. It looks like they were designed for the specific Shuttle systems for which the PSU is approved. I think that for most other cases, you'll have trouble finding a motherboard where the P4 and 20-pin connectors are at an ideal distance. This isn't too huge of a deal, since extensions are pretty cheap... but it does add hassle and messy cables.

That said, the performance, as mentioned by the German person, seems reasonable. I want to power an E8600 with it and also have as powerful a video card as I can with a max load of ~200W. It's just sad that the much smaller PW-200 DC-DC power supply - which could theoretically be used with a Dell DA-2 brick to make the exact thing as the PC62 but in a smaller package - has problems.

SteveRCE

Post by SteveRCE » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:10 pm

The PW-200 has problems, yes. The DA-2 brick goes protected and shuts off when booting the system. I found that unplugging the P4 power connector permits the system to start, but not post.

I plan to pick up a PC62 and disassemble it for a NSK1380 build (Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 motherboard.) Have you tried the PC62 on other boards?