SFX and Shuttle PSU (Fan Changing..)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

alexander

SFX and Shuttle PSU (Fan Changing..)

Post by alexander » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Shuttle SZ77R5 and am relatively pleased with it except the PSU fan is very loud. I have moved from a Corsair AX750 and so I guess any noise is too much.

I have a few questions:

1) The SZ77R5 has a PC63J PSU. This has a 50mm fan and keeps the PSU very cool. All the noise seems to come from this fan and so I have taken the PSU's cover off to see what was going on. I would like to change the fan if possible but I can't find anyway to take the fan off, I have taken the 2 screws off but it seems to be quite well held in. Maybe some sort of adhesive?

2) I have tried unplugging the PSU fan however, I have followed the wire and it seems to have 2 x 2 pin fan headers? I have disconnected one of them and the fan continues to work. The other one I have tried to remove but it is a standard 2 pin connector but I think it is soldered in from the back and so I cannot disconnect it. Both headers have a red and black cable.
Does this sound correct or am I misunderstanding something? I have attached the picture of the two cables.

3) If I cannot change the fan I will have to change the PSU. Silverstone are tomorrow releasing an SFX 450W Gold rated PSU. Does anyone know if it possible to fit this into the internals of the Shuttle R5 chassis without massive modding? If not, I guess I will have to run it externally from the back.

So if anyone has any knowledge they would like to share it would be much appreciated

tim851

Re: SFX and Shuttle PSU (Fan Changing..)

Post by tim851 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:12 pm

alexander wrote:Silverstone are tomorrow releasing an SFX 450W Gold rated PSU. Does anyone know if it possible to fit this into the internals of the Shuttle R5 chassis without massive modding?
The ST45SF-G is 125x63.5x100mm. You have the Shuttle, figure it out :)

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 pm

alexander

Post by alexander » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering if anybody had actually fitted a SFX PSU into a Shuttle before, if I was to, I am guessing I would need cut various pieces of metal away which I am not keen on.

Thank you for the suggestion about that PSU, sadly it is the same width (6.3cm) as a standard SFX PSU and so it wouldn't be of more help than a standard PSU. 6.3cm is around 1cm too wide to fit it in the same position as the current PSU.

Does anyone have any ideas about changing the fan? I don't massively fancy soldering!

alexander

Post by alexander » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:19 am

Does anyone have information regarding the fan with the 2 connectors?

Anyone change this PSU's fan before?

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am

If the psu fan doesn't vary rpm, then it presumably hasn't got a fan controller. Swapping to a more silent(=less rpm) fan might lead to heat problems in summertimes or under high load.

budio

Post by budio » Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 am

Probably too late to ask now but did you ever figure out a solution to this? I have the same issue with the Z77R5 PSU fan