Fanless 130W ATX PSU with 120W AC adapter *Video.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 am

I received yesterday the cables and already mounted two 130W winmate PSU in my PC. I used #4 screws 1" length for metric use M3 with 25mm length you can even use shorter about 3/4" or 20mm
I think it dose not look to bad and you can find this at any hardware store.
Next week I will receive a Low profile video card not great is a HD4650 but with DDR2 64bit memory bus and this is strange probably it will be at the same level as a HD4350 I will let you know when I will receive this. Probably it will use 30W at load so I will have higher power consumption also I will overclock the CPU at 3 or 3.2Ghz. will also use one SSD + a 250GB 3.5" HDD and a DVD drive probably all this will not exceed 150W at load but I will see what I can add to increase the load to 200W.

PS: I did a lot of testing today and it seems that there are some problem with connecting this in parallel using an ATX cable some times will not start because one of the PSU will start with about 10 to 20ms faster and will need to charge also the capacitors of the other PSU and this I think triggers the overcurrent protection and then the PSU will stop.
I disconnected all cables from the second PSU except for GND wires and Power ON and used this second PSU only to power the CPU and in this way is working. But I'm not very happy hope I will be able to find a solution to at least connect the 5V together.
Probably the 120W Green PSU will work since on that one the DC-DC converters are always working so all the capacitors are always charged but I need to test this probably tomorrow.
PPS: I just did some small test also with the 120W Green PSU but still not perfect with this one it may not start when I plug the brick but after that if successful (about 50%) then it will start every time.
Probably I will stick with the Yellow PSUs and the power will need to be distributed probably on PSU will supply the motherboard and video card and the other CPU and HDD
PPPS: OK I added one photo and one drawing see the last two images.
The PSU A will supply power to motherboard (excluding the CPU) a normal motherboard will use 15 to 35W then another 2 to 5W for the RAM this means that the renaming of 80W max can be supplied to any video card that is powered directly from PCI-E and PCI-E can deliver 5.5A max on 12V line this is about 66W and 3A on 3.3V line.
Then PSU B can supply a CPU and one or more HDD and DVD depending on CPU. With a 65W CPU you can use up to 4 green HDD and a DVD or you can use a 95W CPU one SSD + one green HDD.
Anyway PSU A + PSU B will not need to use more than 220W the AC adapter is providing considering that you want to use the one that I use and recommend just search on eBay for "220W AC adapter 4 pin" and you will find this at 46.9$ with free shipping in US for Canada you also pay 15$ shipping.

This are the cable I used to connect the boards in parallel if you are interested they will be on sale soon on eBay just need to do some photo for the add
ZOOM
Some photo with the PSUs mounted. This is a SFF case you can see the 80mm fan on the side.
I think you need at least this type of case or bigger if you want to use close to 220W.
ZOOM
ZOOM
ZOOM
ZOOM
ZOOM
Someone asked how are all connected now that I have finalized the design you can see in this photo. bottom PSU is suppling the motherboard and video card and top PSU is suppling the CPU and HDD.
ZOOM
ZOOM
Last edited by electrodacus on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sethyrish

Asus Low radiation

Post by sethyrish » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am

electrodacus.
With regards to the low radiation asus MB's, do you know if the M4N68T-M would suit your PSU? I've already purchased an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO but according to the user guide it requires a 300w PSU with at least 15A on +12V. The Asus site doesn't seem to give this info. If I was to try it anyway, could it cause any damage? I received your mini PSU yesterday and look forward to getting my system up and running. Thanks for the opportunity.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Asus Low radiation

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 am

sethyrish wrote:I've already purchased an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO but according to the user guide it requires a 300w PSU with at least 15A on +12V.
They are just covering their asses. You can use a Winmate PSU without problem.

Low radiation motherboards? :roll: :wink:

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Re: Asus Low radiation

Post by electrodacus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 pm

sethyrish wrote:electrodacus.
With regards to the low radiation asus MB's, do you know if the M4N68T-M would suit your PSU? I've already purchased an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO but according to the user guide it requires a 300w PSU with at least 15A on +12V. The Asus site doesn't seem to give this info. If I was to try it anyway, could it cause any damage? I received your mini PSU yesterday and look forward to getting my system up and running. Thanks for the opportunity.
The Motherboard you have will not use more than 30W + 5W for RAM but it depends what CPU you will use and other add-on cards and HDD + DVD

Callel

Reasonable power?

Post by Callel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello electrodacus et al.!

I'm interested in getting a Winmate DD-24AX PSU for my new HTPC/File server combo.
I would love to get some help calculating (or estimating) what would be a good size power brick for my needs. 90W? 150W? A dual Winmate setup? *I'm guessing it should be on the lower end of the scale, but the peak power from spinning up multiple hard drives is making me unsure...*

These are the components:
Case: Moneual MonCaso 320 (memory card reader + VFD display. No case fans, although I might put one in later)
Motherboard: ASRock A330ION (or similar mini-ITX Atom/ION board that's fanless instead)
RAM: 2*2GB DDR3 1066 MHz
ODD: BluRay or DVD recorder
Capture card: ??
HDD bay with 80mm fan: Lian Li EX-23N
HDD: 1 small SSD, between 2 and 5 5400rpm "green" hard drives.

It would be nice if the system could have 4-5 such hard drives, but again, they probably have a power surge right at spin-up. I hope that won't cause any problems.

I just saw something called staggered spin-up (en.wikipedia [dot] org/wiki/Spin-up) where the drives are started one after the other to avoid excessive power-consumption. Sounds smart, but then I need to find out which drives support this - and the BIOS has to support it as well...! Anyone who has experience with "staggered spin-up"?

Maybe someone knows if there's a way to stop the drives from spinning up at all, until they are accessed (after booting)? I mean, the OS is going to be on the SSD anyway, so the other hard drives wouldn't have to spin-up at all during the computer start-up.

I would be very interested to hear any thoughts on this as I really don't know how much power this setup is going to need. Thanks!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Each HDD, as it spins up, can draw >20W momentarily. 4-5 coming on at once would be 100W peak by themselves -- not recommended w/ this power supply. Even if you stagger the drive turn on, the total power draw would be too close to the max for safe reliable long term operation. I'd limit it to 3-4 drives max, if they are 3.5" drives, regardless of the power brick.

If you want only the OS drive to turn on at bootup, it would be a simple bit of soldering to add an in-line manual on/off switch for each of the other drives. You would have to be careful about how / when these were turned off.

I don't know of any inexpensive, simple sequential drive boot utility or OS. You could try searching for such a thing.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 pm

MikeC wrote:Each HDD, as it spins up, can draw >20W momentarily. 4-5 coming on at once would be 100W peak by themselves -- not recommended w/ this power supply. Even if you stagger the drive turn on, the total power draw would be too close to the max for safe reliable long term operation. I'd limit it to 3-4 drives max, if they are 3.5" drives, regardless of the power brick.
I wonder if you can drive the hard drives with their own external power supply. Whether that might cause some kind of conflict or other. Though that is exactly what you do with you use eSata.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Re: Reasonable power?

Post by electrodacus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Callel wrote:Hello electrodacus et al.!

I'm interested in getting a Winmate DD-24AX PSU for my new HTPC/File server combo.
I would love to get some help calculating (or estimating) what would be a good size power brick for my needs. 90W? 150W? A dual Winmate setup? *I'm guessing it should be on the lower end of the scale, but the peak power from spinning up multiple hard drives is making me unsure...*

These are the components:
Case: Moneual MonCaso 320 (memory card reader + VFD display. No case fans, although I might put one in later)
Motherboard: ASRock A330ION (or similar mini-ITX Atom/ION board that's fanless instead)
RAM: 2*2GB DDR3 1066 MHz
ODD: BluRay or DVD recorder
Capture card: ??
HDD bay with 80mm fan: Lian Li EX-23N
HDD: 1 small SSD, between 2 and 5 5400rpm "green" hard drives.

It would be nice if the system could have 4-5 such hard drives, but again, they probably have a power surge right at spin-up. I hope that won't cause any problems.

I just saw something called staggered spin-up (en.wikipedia [dot] org/wiki/Spin-up) where the drives are started one after the other to avoid excessive power-consumption. Sounds smart, but then I need to find out which drives support this - and the BIOS has to support it as well...! Anyone who has experience with "staggered spin-up"?

Maybe someone knows if there's a way to stop the drives from spinning up at all, until they are accessed (after booting)? I mean, the OS is going to be on the SSD anyway, so the other hard drives wouldn't have to spin-up at all during the computer start-up.

I would be very interested to hear any thoughts on this as I really don't know how much power this setup is going to need. Thanks!
ASRock A330ION less than 25W
RAM: 2*2GB DDR3 1066 MHz less than 5W
BluRay or DVD recorder depends about 10W max
HDD: 1 small SSD almost no power max 3W
Capture card probably 5 to 10W ???
between 2 and 5 5400rpm "green" hard drives this are using about 6W each in normal operation and will require 1.75A on 12V line at startup so 4 will need 7A at startup this will be no problem for one Winamte that can provide up to 10A on 12V but considering also the motherboard and other components.
You only have 4 sata on this MB so you will not be able to use more than 4 drives including the SSD and BlueRay or DVD.
I sugest using one SSD for OS one BlueRay and two 1 to 2 TB green SATA drives and you will have absolutely no problem to drive this from one winmate and 120 to 150W AC adapter.
Last edited by electrodacus on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:27 pm

ces wrote: I wonder if you can drive the hard drives with their own external power supply. Whether that might cause some kind of conflict or other. Though that is exactly what you do with you use eSata.
No conflict they will work just fine with separate power supply.

Callel

Post by Callel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you all for your answers!

electrodacus: ah, of course, you are absolutely right about the number of SATA connectors! I've been looking at many different boards, but the one I mentioned, from the Atom/ION category, only has 4 SATA ports.

I don't even know if there's a similar low-power board (suited for HTPC-use without any real gaming capabilities) with more SATA ports (maybe I should look at a board with the H55 chipset...), but just for the sake of argument: if I did find a board to my liking, with more SATA ports, and I wanted to have around 5 such 3.5" drives, could it be done with two Winmates & one or two AC adapters? How? Through connecting two Winmates in the same way as you just presented in this forum, electrodacus? What about the mentioned solution with a separate power supply for just the hard drives - how would one connect things to have that separate power supply only be connected to the hard drives?

Side note: this SPCR thread talks about staggered spin-up: silentpcreview [dot] com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57854 - the DIY solution in the last entry seemed pretty cool... *interesting stuff, even though such "work-around solutions" shouldn't be necessary...*

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

Callel wrote:Thank you all for your answers!

electrodacus: ah, of course, you are absolutely right about the number of SATA connectors! I've been looking at many different boards, but the one I mentioned, from the Atom/ION category, only has 4 SATA ports.

I don't even know if there's a similar low-power board (suited for HTPC-use without any real gaming capabilities) with more SATA ports (maybe I should look at a board with the H55 chipset...), but just for the sake of argument: if I did find a board to my liking, with more SATA ports, and I wanted to have around 5 such 3.5" drives, could it be done with two Winmates & one or two AC adapters? How? Through connecting two Winmates in the same way as you just presented in this forum, electrodacus? What about the mentioned solution with a separate power supply for just the hard drives - how would one connect things to have that separate power supply only be connected to the hard drives?

Side note: this SPCR thread talks about staggered spin-up: silentpcreview [dot] com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57854 - the DIY solution in the last entry seemed pretty cool... *interesting stuff, even though such "work-around solutions" shouldn't be necessary...*
Yes you can have 5 x 3.5" HDD if you use 2 Winmate and one AC adapter probably the 220W AC adapter that I use will be the best.
And they can be connected in the same way I did just that you can use the firs PSU for MB and CPU since you will not use a dedicated video card and use the second PSU for HDDs and optical drive.
But I do not understand why will you need 5 if they are 2Tb this will be 10TB (this is to much for HTPC i think)
Also if you are going to be at 60 to 70W idle then it will be noisy since you will need some fans to get the heat out.

Callel

Post by Callel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm a software-guy, not a hardware-guy - which probably explains my naivety about some hardware-related issues. As I see it, it should just work!

If I want to do a HTPC/File server combo, it should just work!
Why is there no easy way to change a setting (BIOS setting or a "jumper" on the MB) that simply makes system power-up SKIP a unit connected to a SATA port of my choice?! That is, don't spin-up drives that I don't want spun-up. If the system could just recognize "there is SOMETHING connected to this SATA port, I will call it "D:", but I haven't checked what it is yet", that would be perfect. That's the type of system I want! Then, once the operating system is up and running, if someone tries to access "D:" THEN the drive will spin up and all information on the drive is accessible (and when it hasn't been used for a while, it can spin down again).

THAT is the HTPC/File server combo of my dreams!
It would run cool, and on low power levels, except for when you have multiple drives spun-up (not in hibernation) at the same time, which wouldn't be very often.

But, alas, this does not seem to be possible with todays computer systems. *if someone can explain WHY, that would be greatly appreciated!*

/C

P.S.
> And they can be connected in the same way I did just that you can use the firs PSU for MB and CPU...
OK, I just didn't understand how one forces one PSU to specifically power certain parts and another power other parts, since it looks like both PSUs are connected together to one ATX power connector on the board - won't that give the MB a "pool" of power from both PSUs that is then used by all different components? *really, it doesn't matter, I guess - as long as it works! :-)*

P.P.S. Thanks again for explaining how this works - I appreciate it! I guess I'll have to give up my "combo" dream and make it more of a pure HTPC... unfortunately.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Callel wrote:I'm a software-guy, not a hardware-guy - which probably explains my naivety about some hardware-related issues. As I see it, it should just work!
If I want to do a HTPC/File server combo, it should just work!
Why is there no easy way to change a setting (BIOS setting or a "jumper" on the MB) that simply makes system power-up SKIP a unit connected to a SATA port of my choice?! That is, don't spin-up drives that I don't want spun-up. If the system could just recognize "there is SOMETHING connected to this SATA port, I will call it "D:", but I haven't checked what it is yet", that would be perfect. That's the type of system I want! Then, once the operating system is up and running, if someone tries to access "D:" THEN the drive will spin up and all information on the drive is accessible (and when it hasn't been used for a while, it can spin down again).
THAT is the HTPC/File server combo of my dreams!
It would run cool, and on low power levels, except for when you have multiple drives spun-up (not in hibernation) at the same time, which wouldn't be very often.
But, alas, this does not seem to be possible with todays computer systems. *if someone can explain WHY, that would be greatly appreciated!*
People do not care about power consumption but they care about money and more futures will cost more :)
When I build my first computer the most common PSU where 180 to 250W but now is 400 to 600W so they do not care about 10W HDD.
For a HDD to spin from 0 to 7200 rpm or whatever the nominal speed is needs about 5 to 10 seconds and in this time when the HDD accelerate to get to the nominal speed will use more current depending on HDD it will use 1.5 to 3A. Once is at nominal speed it will use only about 1/4 of this or about 0.5A to maintain the speed.
Some green HDD spin down when idle to preserve energy but they go to more than half of the nominal speed.
Callel wrote:
P.S.
> And they can be connected in the same way I did just that you can use the firs PSU for MB and CPU...
OK, I just didn't understand how one forces one PSU to specifically power certain parts and another power other parts, since it looks like both PSUs are connected together to one ATX power connector on the board - won't that give the MB a "pool" of power from both PSUs that is then used by all different components? *really, it doesn't matter, I guess - as long as it works! :-)*

P.P.S. Thanks again for explaining how this works - I appreciate it! I guess I'll have to give up my "combo" dream and make it more of a pure HTPC... unfortunately.

The PSU are not connected together only the Power ON pin is connected to the second PSU and some GND wires. The voltages from both PSU are separated.

Callel

Post by Callel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 am

Yes, I guess not enough people want to have the kind of system I'm describing, so it just hasn't been made.

For me, it would be perfect, since I would probably only have to access the storage drives once every other day or so, and I can wait a few seconds at that point... (and then I could have it all in one nice package together with the HTPC).

Anyway, thanks for informing me about what can and cannot be done (as of today)!

I will probably return after Easter with a Winmate-order. Thanks!

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Any update on this?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Callel wrote:Why is there no easy way to change a setting (BIOS setting or a "jumper" on the MB) that simply makes system power-up SKIP a unit connected to a SATA port of my choice?! That is, don't spin-up drives that I don't want spun-up. If the system could just recognize "there is SOMETHING connected to this SATA port, I will call it "D:", but I haven't checked what it is yet", that would be perfect. That's the type of system I want! Then, once the operating system is up and running, if someone tries to access "D:" THEN the drive will spin up and all information on the drive is accessible (and when it hasn't been used for a while, it can spin down again).
Actually, some motherboards and RAID cards support staggered spin-up. I think I remember staggered spin-up actually being an option on the Intel D945GCLF2 (Intel 945GC+Intel Atom 330) BIOS, which is a bit of a surprise.

As for operating system, it seems to me you haven't heard about unRAID yet. It spins down drives when not in use and even provides parity protection. Alas, you pretty much need to dedicate a whole PC for it.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 pm

AznJason wrote:Any update on this?
Sorry I did not had enough time to build the cables and list this kit on eBay there is noting else to do everything work perfect in this configuration I use with one PSU suppling the CPU and HDD and the other MB and video card.
Most of the time one PSU is enough this configuration with two PSU is only useful if you want a dedicated video card or more than two HDD.

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm

electrodacus wrote: Sorry I did not had enough time to build the cables and list this kit on eBay there is noting else to do everything work perfect in this configuration I use with one PSU suppling the CPU and HDD and the other MB and video card.
Most of the time one PSU is enough this configuration with two PSU is only useful if you want a dedicated video card or more than two HDD.
Thanks for the info. I might try and throw together a Lian-Li Q07 with a i7-860 and 5770. I'd probably want a tower cooler to keep things quiet, so I was looking at doing the two PSU option. I'm figuring even with two 2.5 drives on the bottom (1 SSD, 1 Hitachi 7200 RPM) there's enough width for a stack of two winmates. Another option for me (I guess) would be to find stands of some sort (instead of screws) and tape them to the front of the case.

[edit] Would you be able to throw together some cables for a kit in the future?

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 pm

AznJason wrote: Thanks for the info. I might try and throw together a Lian-Li Q07 with a i7-860 and 5770. I'd probably want a tower cooler to keep things quiet, so I was looking at doing the two PSU option. I'm figuring even with two 2.5 drives on the bottom (1 SSD, 1 Hitachi 7200 RPM) there's enough width for a stack of two winmates. Another option for me (I guess) would be to find stands of some sort (instead of screws) and tape them to the front of the case.
I am planning something similar. I have a Q07. I want to remove the PSU and use the twin winmates. I just ordered a ThermalRight HR-01 plus tower and the related Thermalright duct.

My plan is to do one of the following:
(a) cut a blow hole in the front and use one fan to do double duty, to act as a case fan drawing in the outside air and in addition to feed that cool air into the cooler's fin array, or
(b) cut a blow hole in the top, connect the ThermalRight HR-01 plus tower to the the top blow hole and and use a slow fan to help thechimney effect of hot air moving upward in the duct move up more quickly than it would otherwise on its own. using that same fan to help assure an adequate exchange of air in the case.

I have a Q9550 and a Zotac board I am going to use. I want to turn it into a small little hotrod. Almost as fast as what you are building.

What do you think about the two cooling options I am considering.

You have an additional problem, cooling the video card. How do you plan on doing this?

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:28 pm

AznJason wrote: Thanks for the info. I might try and throw together a Lian-Li Q07 with a i7-860 and 5770. I'd probably want a tower cooler to keep things quiet, so I was looking at doing the two PSU option. I'm figuring even with two 2.5 drives on the bottom (1 SSD, 1 Hitachi 7200 RPM) there's enough width for a stack of two winmates. Another option for me (I guess) would be to find stands of some sort (instead of screws) and tape them to the front of the case.

[edit] Would you be able to throw together some cables for a kit in the future?
i7-860 is a 95W TDP so will be no problem for winmate to provide power to CPU + one HDD and one SSD.
But the 5770 is 108W TDP according to AMD so it will not work as I mentioned before any card that dose not need external supply will work so the 5670 will probably be the best that will work with the winmate you need to be able to power the motherboard and video card and this two combined not to exceed 120W also the 5770 will not give more than 50% more performance over 5670 at double the power consumption.
There are also some green 5750 that do not use external power connector that can be used.
I do not now for how long I will provide this cables depends on how popular they will be but it will not be hard to build the cable yourself.
I will give all the information necessary to build the cables. I will build about 7 cables now and I do not know How long they will last.

PS: I just overclocked the CPU to 3.2Ghz 1.24V and used prime 95 and 3DMark to stress the computer and the power consumption was only 131VA
Spec: G31 + Q8400S at 3.2Ghz;1.24V + HD4650 +4GB RAM +250GB HDD +32GB SSD and 2x 80mm fans.
I will receive next week an additional HDD the exact same model Seagate 7200.10 spec 2A startup on 12V line and about 10W working not a green HDD :) I will also add the DVD drive an external USB HDD and external USB LED lamp 4W and hope to increase power consumption up to 150VA I have no idea on what else can I add to increase the power consumption.
Last edited by electrodacus on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 pm

ces wrote: I am planning something similar. I have a Q07. I want to remove the PSU and use the twin winmates. I just ordered a ThermalRight HR-01 plus tower and the related Thermalright duct.

My plan is to do one of the following:
(a) cut a blow hole in the front and use one fan to do double duty, to act as a case fan drawing in the outside air and in addition to feed that cool air into the cooler's fin array, or
(b) cut a blow hole in the top, connect the ThermalRight HR-01 plus tower to the the top blow hole and and use a slow fan to help thechimney effect of hot air moving upward in the duct move up more quickly than it would otherwise on its own. using that same fan to help assure an adequate exchange of air in the case.

I have a Q9550 and a Zotac board I am going to use. I want to turn it into a small little hotrod. Almost as fast as what you are building.

What do you think about the two cooling options I am considering.

You have an additional problem, cooling the video card. How do you plan on doing this?
Is there space on the top for a blow hole? It looks like you'd have to do it without a ODD, which (with cables) would block off most of the top. Cutting a hole in the front would make it like a Q08, but would you really want to mess with the front face of a Q07? :shock:
Without an ODD, I'd go with b.

As far as cooling the video card, I think someone mentioned that on a 5770 (Powercolor) they kept the fan at 20% and gaming without issues and the cooling still worked pretty well. There's also a decent amount of venting on the bottom that I was going to rely on. It'd just be fingers crossed mostly. :-)
electrodacus wrote: i7-860 is a 95W TDP so will be no problem for winmate to provide power to CPU + one HDD and one SSD.
But the 5770 is 108W TDP according to AMD so it will not work as I mentioned before any card that dose not need external supply will work so the 5670 will probably be the best that will work with the winmate you need to be able to power the motherboard and video card and this two combined not to exceed 120W also the 5770 will not give more than 50% more performance over 5670 at double the power consumption.
I do not now for how long I will provide this cables depends on how popular they will be but it will not be hard to build the cable yourself.
I will give all the information necessary to build the cables. I will build about 7 cables now and I do not know How long they will last.
I was under the impression that a 5770 would be on the fringe, but I guess not. If PSU A supplies power to the MB, RAM, and GPU with the motherboard taking 15-35w, it's possible that it's more like 25w? If the limit is 80w, a 5750 says 86w, only drawing ~36w from the PCI-E slot and the rest from the power connector. I'd be willing to take a risk on that since it's much closer than 108w. Since it's supposed to somewhat of a gaming machine, I'd like to push the limit as close as possible. I wish the PowerColor GoGreen 5750 came as a single-slot, because that would've been perfect.

As a side note, since it's ultimately a single power brick and each of the winmates is actually 130w, would it be possible that one winmate would be putting out 130w (for the MB/RAM/GPU) and the other 110w (for the CPU/HDD)?

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

AznJason wrote: Is there space on the top for a blow hole? It looks like you'd have to do it without a ODD, which (with cables) would block off most of the top.
Yes, That is a drawback.
AznJason wrote:Cutting a hole in the front would make it like a Q08, but would you really want to mess with the front face of a Q07? :shock:
Without an ODD, I'd go with b.
A black Filterright filter over a 120mm fan will, I believe give it a nice and pleasing professional look.

See: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=2275

They are easy to clean and they look factory installed. The shiny black goes well against the standard Lian Li brushed aluminum finish. [/quote]
AznJason wrote: As far as cooling the video card, I think someone mentioned that on a 5770 (Powercolor) they kept the fan at 20% and gaming without issues and the cooling still worked pretty well. There's also a decent amount of venting on the bottom that I was going to rely on. It'd just be fingers crossed mostly. :-)
I have noticed that there are some video card coolers that go on the top side of the video card and some that go on the bottom side. Seems like there should be room for one that open side in the Q07.

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 pm

ces wrote: I have noticed that there are some video card coolers that go on the top side of the video card and some that go on the bottom side. Seems like there should be room for one that open side in the Q07.
Throwing in a Thermalright HR-03 has crossed my mind. Then I could put a fan where the PSU was supposed to be and draw some air across it. But it might not matter if I can't power it. :cry:

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:27 am

AznJason wrote:
ces wrote: I have noticed that there are some video card coolers that go on the top side of the video card and some that go on the bottom side. Seems like there should be room for one that open side in the Q07.
Throwing in a Thermalright HR-03 has crossed my mind. Then I could put a fan where the PSU was supposed to be and draw some air across it. But it might not matter if I can't power it. :cry:
You can power your system if you use the 5750 green there are some version of 5750 that do not use external connector for power.
See this Link

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Just curious, but what is the 4-pin molex on the winmate do? Does it provide 12V power?

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:01 am

AznJason wrote:Just curious, but what is the 4-pin molex on the winmate do? Does it provide 12V power?
Yes the 4-pin molex is providing 12V and 5V as a normal molex.

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 am

electrodacus wrote: Yes the 4-pin molex is providing 12V and 5V as a normal molex.
Thanks. If you list the cables (or a kit of winmates + the cable), let me know. I'll order a kit. I'll figure out how to power my stuff (or what to power) later. :P

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm

AznJason wrote: Thanks. If you list the cables (or a kit of winmates + the cable), let me know. I'll order a kit. I'll figure out how to power my stuff (or what to power) later. :P
I do not understand exactly what cable are you referring to. I have PSU + cables kit on eBay all the time is called Y2 and it includes the PSU + 4pin din extension cable + ATX cable . The ATX cable includes also a SATA power connector and a molex. Link to eBay

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:33 pm

electrodacus wrote: I do not understand exactly what cable are you referring to. I have PSU + cables kit on eBay all the time is called Y2 and it includes the PSU + 4pin din extension cable + ATX cable . The ATX cable includes also a SATA power connector and a molex. Link to eBay
electrodacus wrote:This are the cable I used to connect the boards in parallel if you are interested they will be on sale soon on eBay just need to do some photo for the add
electrodacus wrote: I will give all the information necessary to build the cables. I will build about 7 cables now and I do not know How long they will last.
I thought you meant you were going to build 7 of the cables shown in the picture from earlier. I can do it myself if I'm mistaken about the cables.

Should I buy a Y2 and the Y1 to get 2 Winmates without having a complete set of duplicate cables?

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:03 pm

AznJason wrote:
I thought you meant you were going to build 7 of the cables shown in the picture from earlier. I can do it myself if I'm mistaken about the cables.

Should I buy a Y2 and the Y1 to get 2 Winmates without having a complete set of duplicate cables?
Sorry, I will build the cables and by next week they will be on sale as a kit.