Modding of Sonata PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cdvp75

Modding of Sonata PSU

Post by cdvp75 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:22 am

I´ve recently bought the Antec Sonata and as other people concluded that the PSU is quite noisy even at 5 V.
I´m thinking about removing the 80 mm fan and instead placing a 120 mm fan in the bottom on the PSU (as in a Foxtron). I guess I can then remove the 120 mm fan in the back as well and instead place it in front of my harddrives. I will then use Noice Control Magic Fleece to reduce noise futher. Any comments on the PSU/fan setup?

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:41 pm

if you were to mod the sonata psu, i would suggest that a simple fan swap would be a good start, if that is not good enough then try the extreme mod that you suggest. i have not read any reviews of magic fleece, but it will definately provide a greater reduction in sound if you first, swap your loud fans for quiter ones, then when the machine is as quiet as you can make it perhaps consider the damping. it will provide a considerable temperature rise (if not on a case with very good airflow) and perhaps not a significant enough reduction in noise.

try a 80mm panaflo lia or mia first and if thats not quiet enough it may be worth considering buying the fortron (i asssume thats the one you mean) as the 120mm mod may not give the advantage you expect.

do you have any case fans? if not perhaps add a 80mm panaflo or nmb as an exhaust, its not fair to make the psu loose all the heat.

hope some of that rambling helps

cdvp75

Post by cdvp75 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Do you consider it a problem for the PSU to handle all the heat generated? My current system is with the provided Antec 120 mm exhaust, no fan for intake and the noisy 80 mm PSU fan. I have 2 Seagate Barracudas, 1 CD-Rom, 1 CD-RW, and a Geforce Ti-4200. The problem with the 80 mm PSU fan is turbulence and vibration. It´s not noisy in free air and it runs on app. 5 V. The problem with the 120 mm fan is noise due to the fan grill, I guess, and it´s probably a bit more noisy than the Papst I´ve ordered. The point with the 120 mm PSU mod (as, yes, Fortron) is that the 120 mm fan is further away from the opening in the case and although maybe just as noisy, the noise will appear less. With the heat generated in my system I´m thinking it´s overkill to use a 120 mm fan as exhaust and a 120 mm fan in the PSU. If making the mod I will install a 120 mm fan in the front to coll the case. I guess the main issue is: Can the PSU handle all the heat generated in the system?

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:50 pm

of the sonata has the 120mm exhaust i would perhaps suggest replacing the fan with one of the recommended 120mm fans and removing the stamped grill (will make a great difference) - there are lots of posts on how to do this. try a pabst or panaflo fan, not sure never used any of the 120mm's.
then attack your psu, remove the stamped grill and put an lia in there, mount it externally., perhaps with isolators, if turbulence is a problem (not sure if this would foul the case though) take it down to say 7v and see what the temps are like.
even a low flow exhaust will make a big difference.

sorry had to cut the answer a little short do ask if you want to know owt else. or someone else will no doubt help.