dumb installation question, fan down?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

soulie

dumb installation question, fan down?

Post by soulie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 am

Been a while since installed a psu and well my intuition/ego tells me to not ask such a dumb question but anyway.

In a standard ATX case with the powersuply mounting place topside , you install the powersuply with its fan pointing to the inside of the case?

:roll: other way around doesn't really make sense to me , but hey the manual installation step are like 1, remove old 2 ,install , 3 screw it in place with no pictures :).

So just to be sure.

update : crap wrong subforum (should be in powersuplly section i guess) ,

idale

Post by idale » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 am

Find the power plug, put that towards the hole in the back of the case, make sure the interior-side opening of the PSU isn't blocked (most likely it'll be a fan and most likely it'll be on the "bottom"), and install that way. ;) (So under what seem like "usual" circumstances these days, yes the fan will be on the inside pointing downward.)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 pm

as long as there is 5/8" or so clearance it should be fine fan up or down.

having it on the bottom can move more air through a 'passive' tower cpu hs, minimizing the need for additional cpu fans... having it on the top can combat stagnant hot air that might be in the very top of a case.