Would a new PSU help lower temps?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Thornogson

Would a new PSU help lower temps?

Post by Thornogson » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:10 am

I have been steadily working towards a quiet PC for the last year, but am now having problems with high temps - a common problem I guess :wink:

I've replaced the original noisy fans with 3xPanaflo 80mm L1A's for intake, and 1x92mm 'L' for exhaust. The CPU's Taisol HS has a Panaflo 92mm 'H' above it, fitted to a Zalman bracket and fanmate. My Abit GF ti4200's whiny fan has been unplugged, and I'm using another 92mm L1A on the same bracket blowing across the card. I now have noise down to a reasonable level, and the PC is behind the table I sit at...

...but with idle mobo/CPU temps of up to 35C/55C on a warm day, I'm beginning to think that I need to exhaust more air. The trouble with the current 92mm Panaflo is that it's above the PSU, and therefore not helping much with cooling the CPU. The PSU is a QuietPC (Q-technology?) 300W model, which is near silent, but isn't moving much air at all.

Do you think using another PSU like the Fortran 350W 35060PN with its 120mm fan would make much difference? Is the general consensus that this is a quiet model that moves a lot or air?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

P.S. I can lower temps a couple of degrees by removing the plastic front of the case, but it looks ugly, so that's not a long-term solution :?