debating which route will lead to more quiet

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

techiecool

debating which route will lead to more quiet

Post by techiecool » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:59 pm

as i understand the fortron does have noise killer for the psu fan, but doesn't come with any Dedicated Fan Only power connectors as the antec TruPowers do. so what are my options to keep the case fans quiet, i thought that the psu would regulate them(ie trupower). otherwise should i buy thermally regulated case fans if i went with the fortron. or am i missing something here...i do admit to being new to trying to figure out how to get parts to become more quiet.

somebody

Post by somebody » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:12 pm

You could try giving your fans 5 volts manually, instead of having them thermally controlled.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:30 pm

You can buy thermally controlled case fans, but generally their performance is less than spectacular. A better idea is to replace your existing case fans with quieter fans (read: Panaflo) in whatever size your case requires. If the case temp stays reasonable with the fans at the default 12v voltage you can start gradually lower their voltage to reduce the already reduced noise. "Reasonable" is more of a user comfort range, but I'd say 40°C is about as high as you'd want. There are a couple of methods of lower voltage on fans, do some more reading around here while you wait for UPS to deliver your new fans. :lol:

techiecool

Post by techiecool » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:20 pm

if i went with a fortron then i would have to adjust them manually. what's the difference when using the antec fan only connectors? it would seem that they would provide a more effiecent and regulated temperature. this is for an antec slk3700 case btw.

somebody

Post by somebody » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:26 pm

True, the fan only connector would regulate the temperture, but if you are going for silence a little extra heat shouldn't be too bad.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:38 am

I am doing the silent as you go approach and I just changed my panflo's to 5v and my system is now running about 43c and increase of about 4c that is after light gaming or light work after 3 to 4 hours - I do not run mine 24/7.

Now I am seeking to replace the cpu fan next, goodluck with your rig.