HELP with fan swap on x-650

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mg2plus

HELP with fan swap on x-650

Post by mg2plus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:12 am

Hello!

I had some problems with the fan of x-650 making some really annoying high-pitch sounds, so i decided to swap the fan (returning it to the Seasonic it is not an option).

So, I got it all opened and found out that the 4-pin head of my chosen replacement fan (Arctic cooling F12-PWM) doesn't match the 4-pin slot on the PSU. Futhermore, the colors of wires on my new fan are black,red,yellow,blue, and the ones on the seasonic's fan are red-brown-black-yellow?

Any suggestions, what should I do?

mg2plus

Re: HELP with fan swap on x-650

Post by mg2plus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:05 am

Ok, so I got experimenting:

The black/red are definitively ground and +12V because when I put 5V on them, the fan starts spinning.

The resistance from ground to yellow wire is over 200 MOhm.
The resistance from ground to brown wire is 14 kOhm.

Any suggestions? I'm not an electrical engineer.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 am

The yellow wire is normally fan rpm sense, so it seems most likely to me that you have the standard fan black-red-yellow wires but in a different order. So the fourth pwm signal wire is brown for the Seasonic fan but would be blue on other PWM fans including the Arctic Cooling you have. So it's a case of re-arranging the order of the wires in the Arctic Cooling fan connector to be red-blue-black-yellow instead of black-red-yellow-blue.

fumino

Post by fumino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am

from what i can see here and here and here, it should just plug in.

if the plug is physically different, then you'll have to remove the wires from the plug thats attached to your psu fan, then use that plug on the wires on the new fan. remember which position the wires are in with regards to the key notch on the plug.