Seasonic Power Supply Running Voltage On Case [RESOLVED]

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Kurso

Seasonic Power Supply Running Voltage On Case [RESOLVED]

Post by Kurso » Sun May 08, 2011 4:45 pm

I've been building my SB machine and having a problem with shorting out. I was actually getting shocked by the case, which is fairly unusual.

After rebuilding the machine from top to bottom three times trying to find the problem I realized that even with everything out of the case except the power supply I was still getting shocked (PSU plugged in). I then removed the PSU from the case (no metal to metal contact between the case and the PSU and the voltage was gone.

Scary stuff. Needless to say I'll be sending this PSU back. After having looked around a bit I've come across a number of other people who have had this problem with Seasonic. Anyone here have the same issue? Should I chalk this up to bad luck and just swap it out for another X-460 or switch vendors?
Last edited by Kurso on Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim G

Re: Seasonic Power Supply Running Voltage On Case

Post by Jim G » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Do you get shocked handling just the PSU when it's plugged in? :S

We use Seasonic X-560s and haven't had any such issues...

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Sun May 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Jim G wrote:Do you get shocked handling just the PSU when it's plugged in? :S

We use Seasonic X-560s and haven't had any such issues...
No, but I have determined why. The black paint on the PSU appears to be non conductive, for obvious reasons. Using a multimeter I am able to see no voltage when contacting the outer case.

but...

When I use the multimeter lead and touch the inner portion of the mounting screw hole (where the paint it scratched off from the screw my meter shoots right up. Essentially the PSU is not grounded properly and the mounting screw is acting as a conductor running the voltage through the case.

This build has become a serious pain in the neck, having already returned a defective case. I remember why I stopped building my own PCs a long time ago. ;-)

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun May 08, 2011 8:36 pm

You didn't mention what the voltage level was, or whether it was AC or DC, you just said it "shot up". This is not really a sufficient enough of a description to comment on.

Seasonic has an excellent reputation, and I have never heard any problems like this with their PSU's.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 am

Just to be sure, are you running off a grounded wall socket?

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 am

Apparently the socket is not grounded. You should get shocked.
Kurso wrote:World class support for sure!
I think their readiness to swap the unit for no reason is a minus.
Last edited by Klusu on Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Mon May 09, 2011 11:52 am

Grounded (supposedly) outlet. Voltage was ~35v AC. I'll test the outlet to be sure but I wasn't getting shocked by the previous system plugged into the same outlet.

RMAing it to be on the safe side. Will test for proper grounding when I get back in town.

Kurso

Post by Kurso » Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm

As you suspected it was an outlet/power strip grounding issue. I'm not sure why it didn't manifest itself in my old system but there is no doubt the problem is gone.

On a side note - I sent an email to Seasonic's US tech support late Sunday afternoon. I received an email back at 12:30am Monday telling me to RMA it no questions asked. World class support for sure! This is my first Seasonic PSU and with support like that I can say it will not be my last.