PicoPSU problem!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rkidday

PicoPSU problem!

Post by rkidday » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 am

Hello.

I've posted on spcr a couple of times recently about my new HTPC build. Glad to say the info provide has helped me to get a good setup for a reasonable cost. This is the puppy:
  • Moneual Moncaso 320
    HDD - 1TB Western Digital Green
    SSD - Intel 40GB 320 Series MLC 2.5" 25nm
    Pentium G620 2.6GHz S1155 (65W TDP)
    MSI H67MA-E35-B3
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066MHz
    LiteOn IHBS112-37 12x Blu-ray BDRW

FSP Mini Plug-In 90W PSU
    FSP090-DMBB1 19V 4.74A
The power supply is from this source; http://linitx.com/product/12635 and comes as a 'matched' set.

My problem is this... I've plugged everything in and fired it up but I get almost nothing. All I get is a quick flash of the light that's on the volume knob of the Moncaso 320 - No cpu fan or anything (oh and the stand by light is on before I hit the power switch). To get back to the original state I have to unplug from the mains. I've tried a spare standard ATX power supply and everything works perfectly, any ideas? Faulty DC-DC or AC-DC perhaps?

Thanks

rthorntn

Re: PicoPSU problem!

Post by rthorntn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 am

My guess from looking at the link is you are drawing too much power from a rail, probably the 12v.

The 90w is probably more suitable for a much lower wattage cpu. Upgrade it to a heftier pico psu, maybe the 160w and a 12v brick, the pico just passes the 12v through making your life easier.

--Richard

boost

Post by boost » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 am

Is the DC-DC board plugged in correctly, it's only 20 pin the mainboard connector 24 pin?
Have you tried with minimal components, only the mainboard and ssd attached?

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 am

And it seems you need to connect the 4-pin power connector to the motherboard as well, for the CPU. But I guess you know this since you got it going with a regular PSU.

rkidday

Post by rkidday » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks for your replies.
rthorntn wrote: The 90w is probably more suitable for a much lower wattage cpu.
I guess it's possible, but others are running very similar systems from 80W PSU's which don't pass the 12V straight through. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62704&p=546062&hilit=g620#p546062
boost wrote:Is the DC-DC board plugged in correctly, it's only 20 pin the mainboard connector 24 pin?
Have you tried with minimal components, only the mainboard and ssd attached?
The (old) standard ATX PSU that i'm using temporarily only has a 20 pin connector and this works with no problems. The motherboard manual also specifies that it will work with only 20pins.
I've tried getting it to post with nothing but the 1 stick of ram and the case plugged in. The case uses 1 1/2 internal usb headers and i'm not sure what this would draw... i'll check once more without these plugged in.

I have been in touch with LinITX since my first post and they have (very quickly I must add) replied with the comments below asking me to return the picoPSU and brick.
It is possible that this board and PSU combination does not work properly.We have seen occasional problems with startup timing. Alternatively there could be a fault in the PSU. It would be best for us to test the PSU.
I shall try the picoPSU without the case USB's attached and then return the kit to LinITX for testing... If/when I resolve the issue I shall post back, but if anyone else has a possible explanation please feel free to share.

Thanks again.

rkidday

Post by rkidday » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 am

I've just heard back from LinITX and apparently the PSU is operating as it should be and they've suggested a compatibility issue. They are going to issue me with a refund so now I need to find an alternative.

I'm thinking of going for a 12V version as suggested by rthorntn and maybe going up to 120W (increases the 12V output to 84W). Is the extra wattage needed? I'm guessing it's only the 12V line which is under powered if it is a power issue. Or perhaps just try a different model (as others seem to manage with only 90W). HELP PLEASE!

Agent.Pires

Post by Agent.Pires » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi rkidday,

Please let me know how you get along with your build as I've ordered very similar components to you and am worried about my system not posting as well.

I've got the following arriving tomorrow:

Intel Core i3 2100 s1155
2 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI HDDs
500GB SGATE 7200RPM ST9500420A
Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 8GB XMS3
Asrock H61M/U3S3 1155 Micro-ATX motherboard
Silverstone GD05B (this has 3x 120mm fans apparently draw 3W each)
FSP Mini Plug-In 90W PSU and AC/DC Adapter Power Kit <--- from LinITX.com as well.

Am I going to be in trouble as well? I've still got three sata ports free and planned on getting a slim BD-ROM and another 3.5" HDD + 2.5" HDD further down the line is that going to be too much to run on this PSU? Hope not! Would be disappointed if it is :(

littlebigman

Post by littlebigman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:52 am

rkidday wrote:My problem is this... I've plugged everything in and fired it up but I get almost nothing. All I get is a quick flash of the light that's on the volume knob of the Moncaso 320 - No cpu fan or anything (oh and the stand by light is on before I hit the power switch)
Just a quick idea: Unplug the PicoPSU, remove the battery, wait 30s for the CMOS to empty, put the battery back, replug the PicoPSU, try again.

I had this issue when plugging a PicoPSU after using a regular ATX PSU.

ituner

Post by ituner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 am

FSP Mini Plug-In 90W PSU and AC/DC Adapter Power Kit<--- from LinITX.com.
this is not a picoPSU power supply, "picoPSU" name it's for the Mini-Box.com power supply product line, the genuine products, patent pending.
linitx.com sells our products, but they also sells this no-name product too. They didn't called it "picoPSU" either.

Other uk online stores sells counterfeit picoPSU products from this source:
http://fabacom.nl/610-streacom-picpsu-1 ... apter.html also http://www.streacom.com or http://www.quietpc.com
those are 1:1 copy (they copied the description text from our website, too) of our genuine product.

This is not a spam or ad text that I'm writing. Take it as a warning about fake products.

My point is: this is a cheap and counterfeit product that may cause damage to your hardware.
We are trying hard to stop this fakes, but they keep coming.
http://www.mini-box.com/site/mini-box-c ... alert.html

So, if you care for your investment, buy genuine products with support and try to find as much information you can get about the manufacturer of the product you're buying.

Thank you.