What is this 4 pin connector called?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Cowtalker

What is this 4 pin connector called?

Post by Cowtalker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am

Hello,

recently, I purchased a powerboard from "Electrodacus" (Vgood, he knows his stuff) of ebay and a powerbrick, to power a typical PC.

Fine, but I need an extension to the 4 pin connector and cannot find it anywhere (been all over Melbourne, Aus) and I don't even know what is the proper name for this connector type.

It IS a standard type of connector, has been shown on this site before, was used on Toshiba Qosimos and also some Medion computers...but nobody seems to know what the heck it is called.

Can anyone say what it is called or where can I get it on ebay?
Please don't say something dumb like "4 pin dim", which has been said X times to me already.
See the attached jpeg please.
Power Brick 4-Pin extension.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowtalker

Re: What is this 4 pin connector called?

Post by Cowtalker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Mini power din 4 pin.

If anyone is interested, that is what it is called...

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 am

I went through the same process looking for various brick capacities and it's apparently not a formal standard or not one that is strictly adhered to....the polarity is sometimes reversed, so be sure and test it before powering up the board.

The_Helper

Post by The_Helper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 am

It's a 4pin mini-din connector, you can get them from Element14 (ex-Farnell) in Sydney:
http://au.element14.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... dp/1280744

Jaycar's got them too:
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... ATID=990#1

diademed

Post by diademed » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:22 am

There seems to be 2 different types, the audio-standard, that looks much like an s-video cable, and the power standard, which has the more-square layout from what I can tell.

The audio connectors tend to be rated for much less current than the power ones (not unexpectedly), on the order of 12v/2a vs 20v/7.5a.

For example, the connectors that TheHelper linked, the Element14 link is to the audio ones, while he links to Jaycar's power connectors.

I don't believe the two are physically compatible. Mine at least looks like the power connectors.