Odd noise with Seasonic PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

marqetry28

Odd noise with Seasonic PSU

Post by marqetry28 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Everyone.

I recently installed a Seasonic S12II-430 PSU and it's been emitting an odd, very sporadic sound only, so far as I can tell, when the computer is off. It's not a hum or a whine but a resonant, "official-sounding" noise, a bit like a warning or an alarm, but just a single noise.

I thought it could be something on the motherboard, even though I’ve never heard anything like it before, but then it made the sound again after I had switched off the PSU so that the PSU was still powered but not the mobo.

The unit is powering a pretty old Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard with the nForce3 250Gb chipset, and an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CPU.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks

Simon

ickarumba1

Re: Odd noise with Seasonic PSU

Post by ickarumba1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Is it on all the time when the computer is off? Or does it last only a few minutes?

marqetry28

Post by marqetry28 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm

There's a noise perhaps every 8-10 minutes, but it seems completely random. I got one this morning within 2 minutes of plugging the power cord into the PSU, which I had unplugged last night to stop any further noises.

As I said, it hasn’t made the sound while the computer is on.

I've emailed Seasonic so maybe they can shed some light on it.

cheers

Simon

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm not an expert on PSUs, but that certainly doesn't sound right.
So, the PSU is switched 'on' (the switch on the back of the PSU), but the computer is off. Then the PSU has intermittent noise.

Maybe one of the main switches is exposed and charge is building up, but I'm not sure.

Check this post: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3265
And post this question on the JonnyGuru forum.