PicoPSU 150w power brick help

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

yetidaddy

PicoPSU 150w power brick help

Post by yetidaddy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I tried mod a dell-da2 and it doesn't work. Luckily, I found a power adapter for my Shuttle Zen with 6-pin in two rows. I been plugging it straight into the picopsu and it works. But, it seem like there's not enough power. It is 180w - 12v and 15a but it can't power up an E8400. I've heard other picopsu powering up an i7-2600k and ATI 5670. So, I need help in finding the pinout, or somehow modding the 4-pin to the 6-pin? Thanks. I have a 135w from antec and it boot fine.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: PicoPSU 150w power brick help

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:24 am

It's tricky with the non-standard plug. But if you're willing to roll your own it's quite simple. You only got +12v and ground (and in some cases a trigger wire) so it's not very complicated.

For the DA-2, cut the cord and you will find three black wires and three white. The black are ground, the white are +12v. You also got two other smaller wires, one red and one blue I believe. One of those is a trigger wire that needs to be connected to ground in order for the brick to be "on". The other thin wire is not connected to anything but can be used for advanced stuff if needed so it's nice to have an extra wire there.

Failure to boot can be caused by any number of reasons, but the brick being to weak probably isn't it.