It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 pm 

I have a neo eco which was silent but has now become noticeably less quiet. I began noticing it getting louder a month ago so I blew out the PSU with air, it got quieter but now has began to get louder (its been less than a month) and worse I now hear a high pitch whine.

Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine? I know the whine part could be different from each unit but just looking to see what units you guys have had success with?

Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:18 am 

bob2300nx wrote:
Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine?

It depends how much cheap is "cheap" according to you: JFYI, if you may afford an about 60 bucks unit, you may go for a Seasonic S12-II 380W (for example by Amazon, Goodwill, SuperBiiz).
Whithin the same price league (around 45 USD), I think you could look at lower capacity Seasonic SS series (ES or ET).
While some people here recommend this Rosewill Green RG430 (perform a forum search).

Personally I use an Antec EarthWatts 380 with a swapped fan (as, unless this, it isn't so quiet), a Noctua R8 (max 800rpm, usually 400rpm) externally drived through an MSI mobo header (and SpeedFan): for a 150-180W load, it's literally inaudible even at night at a foot from my ears, and I can say even rock solid (about two years of flawless operation).
BUT the fan swap voids the warranty, and increases noticeably the overall cost.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm 

quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine?

It depends how much cheap is "cheap" according to you: JFYI, if you may afford an about 60 bucks unit, you may go for a Seasonic S12-II 380W (for example by Amazon, Goodwill, SuperBiiz).
Whithin the same price league (around 45 USD), I think you could look at lower capacity Seasonic SS series (ES or ET).
While some people here recommend this Rosewill Green RG430 (perform a forum search).

Personally I use an Antec EarthWatts 380 with a swapped fan (as, unless this, it isn't so quiet), a Noctua R8 (max 800rpm, usually 400rpm) externally drived through an MSI mobo header (and SpeedFan): for a 150-180W load, it's literally inaudible even at night at a foot from my ears, and I can say even rock solid (about two years of flawless operation).
BUT the fan swap voids the warranty, and increases noticeably the overall cost.

The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii.....Good info though I will check out the other options.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm 

bob2300nx wrote:
The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii

Really a clone? Or just a Seasonic platform?
Not to mention the relevant 80plus reports, but at anyway IME that Seasonic is not *silent* (as you claimed in the original post the Antec *was*).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 am 

quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii

Really a clone? Or just a Seasonic platform?
Not to mention the relevant 80plus reports, but at anyway IME that Seasonic is not *silent* (as you claimed in the original post the Antec *was*).

I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent. Also I have both the seasonic 380 s12ii and this antec neo eco and I ran them both outside the computer case and could not tell a difference in sound. Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 am 

bob2300nx wrote:
I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent.

I mean here:
bob2300nx on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am wrote:
I have a neo eco which was silent

About quietness, personally I call a PSU "silent" if and when the typical 120mm fan spins under 500rpm up to 120-150W DC (like in some Enermax ECO II or Pro 80+, now discontinued), and below 1000rpm up to 300W. But this also depends of the enclosure.

bob2300nx wrote:
Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.

The S12 II currently is 80plus Bronze, and this is a first difference over the Neo ECO. But however, it isn't important.
I hope the Rosewill (or a modified EarthWatts like mine, or some other good and cheap PSU you may find) may serve you better and longer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 pm 

Thanks for your help. As it turned out I thought the PSU was the cause since it seemed like a power supply noise and began as soon as I took the case dust filter out from under the power supply. It was my asus m5a88-v evo, its three days out of the return polcy from newegg but as usual newegg has amazing customer service and is taking it back. Im very happy now I get to decide on two 140mm fans and three 120 fans (this will be fun). I went with the asrock 890gx pro3 as a replacement.

quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent.

I mean here:
bob2300nx on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am wrote:
I have a neo eco which was silent

About quietness, personally I call a PSU "silent" if and when the typical 120mm fan spins under 500rpm up to 120-150W DC (like in some Enermax ECO II or Pro 80+, now discontinued), and below 1000rpm up to 300W. But this also depends of the enclosure.

bob2300nx wrote:
Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.

The S12 II currently is 80plus Bronze, and this is a first difference over the Neo ECO. But however, it isn't important.
I hope the Rosewill (or a modified EarthWatts like mine, or some other good and cheap PSU you may find) may serve you better and longer.