It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am
Posts: 12
Location: New Mexico, USA
I have a neo eco which was silent but has now become noticeably less quiet. I began noticing it getting louder a month ago so I blew out the PSU with air, it got quieter but now has began to get louder (its been less than a month) and worse I now hear a high pitch whine.

Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine? I know the whine part could be different from each unit but just looking to see what units you guys have had success with?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2864
Location: ITALY
bob2300nx wrote:
Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine?

It depends how much cheap is "cheap" according to you: JFYI, if you may afford an about 60 bucks unit, you may go for a Seasonic S12-II 380W (for example by Amazon, Goodwill, SuperBiiz).
Whithin the same price league (around 45 USD), I think you could look at lower capacity Seasonic SS series (ES or ET).
While some people here recommend this Rosewill Green RG430 (perform a forum search).

Personally I use an Antec EarthWatts 380 with a swapped fan (as, unless this, it isn't so quiet), a Noctua R8 (max 800rpm, usually 400rpm) externally drived through an MSI mobo header (and SpeedFan): for a 150-180W load, it's literally inaudible even at night at a foot from my ears, and I can say even rock solid (about two years of flawless operation).
BUT the fan swap voids the warranty, and increases noticeably the overall cost.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am
Posts: 12
Location: New Mexico, USA
quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
Whats a suitable PSU around the 300-400ish range that is quiet and cheap? And doesnt have coil whine?

It depends how much cheap is "cheap" according to you: JFYI, if you may afford an about 60 bucks unit, you may go for a Seasonic S12-II 380W (for example by Amazon, Goodwill, SuperBiiz).
Whithin the same price league (around 45 USD), I think you could look at lower capacity Seasonic SS series (ES or ET).
While some people here recommend this Rosewill Green RG430 (perform a forum search).

Personally I use an Antec EarthWatts 380 with a swapped fan (as, unless this, it isn't so quiet), a Noctua R8 (max 800rpm, usually 400rpm) externally drived through an MSI mobo header (and SpeedFan): for a 150-180W load, it's literally inaudible even at night at a foot from my ears, and I can say even rock solid (about two years of flawless operation).
BUT the fan swap voids the warranty, and increases noticeably the overall cost.


The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii.....Good info though I will check out the other options.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2864
Location: ITALY
bob2300nx wrote:
The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii

Really a clone? Or just a Seasonic platform?
Not to mention the relevant 80plus reports, but at anyway IME that Seasonic is not *silent* (as you claimed in the original post the Antec *was*).

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am
Posts: 12
Location: New Mexico, USA
quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
The neo eco is a rebranded seasonic s12ii

Really a clone? Or just a Seasonic platform?
Not to mention the relevant 80plus reports, but at anyway IME that Seasonic is not *silent* (as you claimed in the original post the Antec *was*).

I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent. Also I have both the seasonic 380 s12ii and this antec neo eco and I ran them both outside the computer case and could not tell a difference in sound. Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2864
Location: ITALY
bob2300nx wrote:
I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent.

I mean here:
bob2300nx on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am wrote:
I have a neo eco which was silent

About quietness, personally I call a PSU "silent" if and when the typical 120mm fan spins under 500rpm up to 120-150W DC (like in some Enermax ECO II or Pro 80+, now discontinued), and below 1000rpm up to 300W. But this also depends of the enclosure.

bob2300nx wrote:
Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.

The S12 II currently is 80plus Bronze, and this is a first difference over the Neo ECO. But however, it isn't important.
I hope the Rosewill (or a modified EarthWatts like mine, or some other good and cheap PSU you may find) may serve you better and longer.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neo Eco 400 - Noisey fan+coil whine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am
Posts: 12
Location: New Mexico, USA
Thanks for your help. As it turned out I thought the PSU was the cause since it seemed like a power supply noise and began as soon as I took the case dust filter out from under the power supply. It was my asus m5a88-v evo, its three days out of the return polcy from newegg but as usual newegg has amazing customer service and is taking it back. Im very happy now I get to decide on two 140mm fans and three 120 fans (this will be fun). I went with the asrock 890gx pro3 as a replacement.

quest_for_silence wrote:
bob2300nx wrote:
I dont see where I claimed that the antec was silent.

I mean here:
bob2300nx on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am wrote:
I have a neo eco which was silent

About quietness, personally I call a PSU "silent" if and when the typical 120mm fan spins under 500rpm up to 120-150W DC (like in some Enermax ECO II or Pro 80+, now discontinued), and below 1000rpm up to 300W. But this also depends of the enclosure.

bob2300nx wrote:
Only difference I could find is different paint and better sleeving on the neo eco.

The S12 II currently is 80plus Bronze, and this is a first difference over the Neo ECO. But however, it isn't important.
I hope the Rosewill (or a modified EarthWatts like mine, or some other good and cheap PSU you may find) may serve you better and longer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group