Replaced my PicoPSU with...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Replaced my PicoPSU with...

Post by Eunos » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 pm

G'day all, just thought I'd let you know that my 120w PicoPSU has finally died after 5.5 years in service. It was originally an impulse buy after Devon Cooke and Mike Chin's May '06 review and was purchased with the 80w EDac brick recommended in the article.

Based on the SMART data of my near 2-year-old Intel SSD, I estimate the PSU has lasted approximately 8,000-9,000 hours including 4 Australian summers. There's only one fan in the system though the case is open. I was never quite sure how it managed to run under heavy loading with only 80 watts but apparently it did. I think the key is that one is never running the graphics card at full tilt AND writing a CD AND copying large files (etc) at the same time.

No prizes for guessing that the replacement is identical, though one of the 2 molex plugs is now a SATA and the round power plug is now removable. I bought the original PSU packaged with the EDac brick (which is still going strong) so can't say for sure what the original price was, but I'd say the Pico is roughly half the price that it was 5 years ago.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to arrange a proper burial... :mrgreen:

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Replaced my PicoPSU with...

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:29 am

R.I.P. sweet picoPSU.

Any idea what part of it died?

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Re: Replaced my PicoPSU with...

Post by Eunos » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Nope, not sure which part, there isn't a lot to it anyway. When I went to boot the computer it would start to boot and then turn off and retry over and over. The coroner has said no autopsy is necessary as it died of natural causes. :mrgreen:

Goes to show they are a quality bit of kit though.

Cheers.