Swap PSU fan out with a quiet one or no?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

archcycle

Swap PSU fan out with a quiet one or no?

Post by archcycle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 am

I have an Ultra LSP550 550w PSU with a bottom mounted 135mm fan and a rubber gasket at the mounts. I'd like to mod it with a quiet fan but have some concerns about whether a silent fan would provide enough cooling. There's plenty of space in my full ATX to run a duct to the front of the case if fresh air is needed.

It's powering a pair of quad core xeon 2.5ghz with 16gb of memory and a radeon hd 6870 so there is going to be draw on it.

Or is this something that's not generally done and one is better off just buying a purpose built quiet PSU? I don't want to replace the whole PSU if not necessary.

Lsv

Re: Swap PSU fan out with a quiet one or no?

Post by Lsv » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm

archcycle wrote:I have an Ultra LSP550 550w PSU with a bottom mounted 135mm fan and a rubber gasket at the mounts. I'd like to mod it with a quiet fan but have some concerns about whether a silent fan would provide enough cooling. There's plenty of space in my full ATX to run a duct to the front of the case if fresh air is needed.

It's powering a pair of quad core xeon 2.5ghz with 16gb of memory and a radeon hd 6870 so there is going to be draw on it.

Or is this something that's not generally done and one is better off just buying a purpose built quiet PSU? I don't want to replace the whole PSU if not necessary.
I wouldn't invest any more money into an Ultra PSU, they're made by Andyson and this one has 30A on the +12b, which puts it at 360~w on the +12v. No thx :)

If you have the cash pick up good quality PSU.