It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Swap PSU fan out with a quiet one or no?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 am 

I have an Ultra LSP550 550w PSU with a bottom mounted 135mm fan and a rubber gasket at the mounts. I'd like to mod it with a quiet fan but have some concerns about whether a silent fan would provide enough cooling. There's plenty of space in my full ATX to run a duct to the front of the case if fresh air is needed.

It's powering a pair of quad core xeon 2.5ghz with 16gb of memory and a radeon hd 6870 so there is going to be draw on it.

Or is this something that's not generally done and one is better off just buying a purpose built quiet PSU? I don't want to replace the whole PSU if not necessary.

Post subject: Re: Swap PSU fan out with a quiet one or no?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm 

archcycle wrote:
I have an Ultra LSP550 550w PSU with a bottom mounted 135mm fan and a rubber gasket at the mounts. I'd like to mod it with a quiet fan but have some concerns about whether a silent fan would provide enough cooling. There's plenty of space in my full ATX to run a duct to the front of the case if fresh air is needed.

It's powering a pair of quad core xeon 2.5ghz with 16gb of memory and a radeon hd 6870 so there is going to be draw on it.

Or is this something that's not generally done and one is better off just buying a purpose built quiet PSU? I don't want to replace the whole PSU if not necessary.

I wouldn't invest any more money into an Ultra PSU, they're made by Andyson and this one has 30A on the +12b, which puts it at 360~w on the +12v. No thx :)

If you have the cash pick up good quality PSU.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm