It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PSU Cooling - Is isolating the PSU a good/bad idea?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:37 am 

Many (most?) cases, whether they sport a top or a bottom mounted PSU arrangement, now have air intake vents positioned immediately above or below the PSU. This, in theory, lets you draw in cool air from outside. They all (AFAIK) then exhaust warm air out the back.

Is it a good idea to force that PSU cooling system to be completely isolated from the rest of the inside of the case to the point of blocking off any internal air intakes and allowing only the intake of air from the outside? I'm not talking about creating an air duct, I'm talking about only allowing air intake from the outside, and not exhausting any of the air that flows through any part of the case.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: PSU Cooling - Is isolating the PSU a good/bad idea?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:48 am 

One thing I should clarify... I'm talking about when using a PSU with a single bottom intake fan that can be flipped when the PSU is mounted at the top of a case.

I doubt that the idea would work at all well with a fanless PSU, as I presume they rely on the internal positive air pressure of the case to create some airflow through the PSU.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Is there any downside? I don't see any... unless your case has inadequate venting for the main components.

Did you not see the long sticky thread about hot air evacuation through the PSU here? Started all the way back in 2004. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 am 

I suppose the biggest concern I have is for cooling of the PSU itself, and whether it can be adequately cooled if any of the internal intake vents are blocked.

(That sticky thread has had three replies in the last five years. I don't tend to read through many eight year old threads, even when stickied.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

JJ wrote:
I suppose the biggest concern I have is for cooling of the PSU itself, and whether it can be adequately cooled if any of the internal intake vents are blocked.

(That sticky thread has had three replies in the last five years. I don't tend to read through many eight year old threads, even when stickied.)

The thread remains relevant. Otherwise, it would not be a sticky.