noisy fan on Corsair TX650 V2

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

derekforreal

noisy fan on Corsair TX650 V2

Post by derekforreal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 am

following a recent graphics card upgrade my PSU started to make coil whine (high pitched noise when GPU was in use). I got in touch with Corsair and they replaced the power supply. all great so far but i did have to pay for delivery to return the old PSU which was half the cost of a new one.

the old PSU was the TX650 V1 but the replacement was a V2. 'great' i thought, but when i powered up with the new PSU installed my heart sank. the V2 seems really loud. the noise seems to be that of the fan spinning and moving lots of air even when the pc is idle. Corsair say that the fan adjusts depending on PSU requirement so i thought it would be quiet under normal use. if i temporarily stop the fan then my PC is practically silent.

i've read that the V2's are made by Seasonic and i read also that Seasonic is a highly regarded brand (as are Corsair in fact) so am wondering what to do next.

i've tried to contact Corsair again but am getting no response. even if they do respond there are a number of users on the Corsair forums with the same problem. one guy had the unit replaced but the new one was just the same. so i can't really be bothered with getting another replacement, especially if i have to pay again to get this one back to them.

so i was thinking that i may as well change the fan on the PSU i have and hope for the best. if i do this though i'm going to need some advice. which fan for example? do i use the same fan that Seasonic use on the X-650? does it even fit? some other fan?

some advice would be great ;)

p.s. i'm aware that i will void the warranty but tbh, i don't really care. i just want a quiet pc.

Zolishoru

Re: noisy fan on Corsair TX650 V2

Post by Zolishoru » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 am

I've had the same problem, and I've replaced the original Yate Loon fan with Scythe Kama Flex 135mm 1200 rpm; yes, the original fan is 135 mm, which heavily restrict your choices. One more observation: the original fan use a different connector than the Scythe fan, so some soldering will be required.
Edit:
Some more details: I've estimate the original fan to run on full speed around 2800-3000 RPM; In my case(modded Lian-Li PC-A05N) the power supply has separate air intake & exhaust; I would recommend, if it's possible, to use the Scythe Kama Flex 135mm 1600 RPM, if the PSU has to exhaust directly from the case(no separate intake). Before the PSU mod, my other 7(5 Noctua NF-P12 and 2 on the Gigabyte GV-R585OC-1GD video card, all running around 8-900 RPM on idle) fans in the case were covered by the PSU fan noise, no matter of load; now the PSU fan noise is completely covered by the other fans.

grandpatzer

Post by grandpatzer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Ive read several people having trouble with the V2 TX650 psu fan.

It also is a bit cheaper where I live compared to the original.

derekforreal

Post by derekforreal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 am

thanks for the replies guys.
Zolishoru wrote:I've had the same problem, and I've replaced the original Yate Loon fan with Scythe Kama Flex 135mm 1200 rpm; yes, the original fan is 135 mm, which heavily restrict your choices. One more observation: the original fan use a different connector than the Scythe fan, so some soldering will be required.
Edit:
Some more details: I've estimate the original fan to run on full speed around 2800-3000 RPM; In my case(modded Lian-Li PC-A05N) the power supply has separate air intake & exhaust; I would recommend, if it's possible, to use the Scythe Kama Flex 135mm 1600 RPM, if the PSU has to exhaust directly from the case(no separate intake). Before the PSU mod, my other 7(5 Noctua NF-P12 and 2 on the Gigabyte GV-R585OC-1GD video card, all running around 8-900 RPM on idle) fans in the case were covered by the PSU fan noise, no matter of load; now the PSU fan noise is completely covered by the other fans.
does the Kama Flex run at 1600RPM minimum, and if so isn't that a bit fast (i have no idea, just wondering)? i was thinking of replacing it with a fan that runs at around 800 - 1000 RPM at low temps and then increases from there.

i'm not a gamer and use my PC mainly for work. while i'm working i use very little resources so system load is minimal and during this time i'd like as little noise as possible. when i render CPU use is at 100% for hours at a time, and during this time i expect the fan to ramp up and be a bit louder (though of course i'd still rather not hear it too much).

maybe i should just cut my losses and go for something like THIS?