Seasonic 8-pin 12V cables defective by design?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

McCarnickle

Seasonic 8-pin 12V cables defective by design?

Post by McCarnickle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Seasonic X-Series SS-400FL to power my Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H motherboard.

To my dismay, I discovered that the included 8-pin CPU cable does not fit the 8-pin "ATX_12V" plug on the motherboard. Confused, I checked the manuals of other motherboards such as the Asus F1A75-V PRO and the Biostar TZ68A+. They all use the same type of plug and this Seasonic cable will not fit into any of them:
8_pin_EATX12_V.png
I thought this might be a rare manufacturing error, so I contacted Seasonic USA and got them to take a picture of a working 8-pin 12V cable. It is the same as mine:
seasonic_cable.png
The topmost connector fits into the "CPU" port on the back of the Seasonic, and I'm left with the bottommost connector with will not make an 8-pin connection with any motherboard that I'm aware of.

My question is: just what kind of cable is this? It doesn't seem to be standard EPS +12V, even though the Seasonic manual clearly states that it's EPS compliant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

McCarnickle

Re: Seasonic 8-pin 12V cables defective by design?

Post by McCarnickle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I should say that this problem was solved. The rounded pins fit into the square holes, so all is well :)

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Why did it not fit at first?

Nicias

Post by Nicias » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am