Corsair AX 750 as good as AX 850?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

TestType

Corsair AX 750 as good as AX 850?

Post by TestType » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 am

Hey guys,

Looking to get a new PSU, as selection of good PSUs is extremely limited in my country I'm only considering Corsair's AX series.
With my machine the 750w is sufficient but I'm concerned if it is as good as the 850w AX reviewed on the site. I'd like to get the 750 as it's considerably cheaper, but not if it isn't as good as the 850. I can't really trust that it's as good as models can differ greatly sometimes in the same line. Doing a search on the forums I seemed to have found a few people alleging the 750 has some noise issues, but nothing conclusive enough I thought.

Also, would the 850 be more silent because the load on it would be less?

Can anyone talk from experience about the 750w? I'm sure it's improbable that someone has tried both, but that would be ideal.

faugusztin

Re: Corsair AX 750 as good as AX 850?

Post by faugusztin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 am

My AX750 behaved exactly as my Seasonic X power supplies, including the fan "failure" in about 2 years (high pitch whine when fan starts up) and only minor buzz when you stuck your head next to PSU (impossible to hear from about 10-20cm distance).

Hasdrubal

Re: Corsair AX 750 as good as AX 850?

Post by Hasdrubal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I have an AX750 PSU in my system. I quite like it, I can't vouch for electronic noise but didn't hear any when setting up the sysyem with the side panel out. Within the closed case, any electronic noise it might make isn't audible.
My setup draws about 350 W at full load (i5 2500K + GTX 560 ti), must conclude that everyday use (gaming) keeps it within passive range, as the filter intake for the PSU stays dust-free, while the bottom intake needs regular cleaning. Provided your system isn't very power-hungry (ie. no crossfire/SLI, and not used as a folding rig), the fan failure, shoud it happen, should be a non-issue.