Corsair AX1200i - DSP controlled PSU for high efficiency

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Corsair AX1200i - DSP controlled PSU for high efficiency

Post by zoob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi All,

Surprised no one has mentioned this new PSU from Corsair:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5919/cors ... rolled-psu

FTA:
Anandtech wrote:Corsair introduced its new AX1200i (1200W) PSU with a integrated DSP that controls voltage regulation, resulting in higher efficiency (80 Plus Platinum rated, up to 92% efficiency) and better control over voltage ripple. The DSP allows Corsair to reduce component count within the PSU itself, which increases efficiency and reduces thermal output. As a result, for all loads below 480W the AX1200i is actually fanless by default. You can override the behavior but that's the default.

Corsair exposes control and monitoring of the DSP via a bundled Corsair Link USB adapter and software. You can monitor power consumption on all attached connectors (e.g. PCIe, 24-ping) as well as keep an eye on efficiency and configure over current protection on the PCIe power connectors.

The AX1200i will retail for $350 when it ships in late July/early August.
Regardless if it's overkill or not, it's a pretty neat thing that I think will help a lot of reviewers more accurately gauge power consumption of various peripherals. Video card consumption will still be a tough, unless for sure the PCI-E slot will only deliver 75W tops.

Fanless up to 480W is brilliant. Hopefully this can trickle down into lower wattage units and offer some highly-efficient fanless SFX form factor PSUs for our dinky little ITX rigs, or simply to offer some more breathing space in the increasingly popular mATX builds we've been seeing. I'm just hoping that with the controller that we don't have a new source of electrical whining/squealing/pulsing noises.