swapping psufan huntkey jumper 300g

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mercyfull_fate

swapping psufan huntkey jumper 300g

Post by mercyfull_fate » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:20 am

The fan of my psu, a huntkey jumper 300g (i believe its called90r in other regions), makes noticably more noise then other fans in my case, a fractal design mini, and its a bit to noisy for my taste.

I'm using the bottem psu intake of the case, i actualy tried turning it around so it takes in air from the inside of the case but that makes no noticable diference in sound.

now i switched the fan yate loon fan from the psu (D12BL-12, a 45 cfm/ 76 m^2/h fan) with a case fan from the fractal design mini (40,6 cfm). i was a bit suprised when it actualy worked without hooking a fan up to the fan conector in the psu as i conected it to the 12v line outside of the psu.

I noticed an improvement and i thought to be happy enough with it, so i ordered 2 scythe gentle typhoons 800rpm to replace the fan i was now using in the psu, but now i'm still not really happy as it still seems to loud to me. (i did check if that fan was the problem by turning it of for a moment)

So now i'm thinking about a replacement for the fan but im not sure how low i could go with the cfm as probably not all brands measure it the same way.

I could go safe with a scythe gt 1450rpm (85 m^2/h fan) but im afraid that would still make a large amount of noise so im wondering how low i could safely go with the cfm of the fan and maybe someone knows a better alternative then the scythe gentle typhoons?

My pc only uses between 36-93 watts out of the wall (+/- 6% when considering the inacuracy of my meter) with my most tasking programs (i guess about 85W on average) and has a peak load of up to 125W on startup of the pc. But i might add up to 4 more hdd's in the future.

bastiaan

Re: swapping psufan huntkey jumper 300g

Post by bastiaan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 am

Reading your post I get the feeling that no PSU fan is ever going to be quiet enough for you. Perhaps you should be looking at a fanless solution; maybe a PicoPSU+brick could handle your power requirements.

mercyfull_fate

Post by mercyfull_fate » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

bastiaan wrote:Reading your post I get the feeling that no PSU fan is ever going to be quiet enough for you. Perhaps you should be looking at a fanless solution; maybe a PicoPSU+brick could handle your power requirements.
well i can't hear the scythe gt 800rpm at max or the fractal design fans at 5 volt so as i'm only using about 1 third of the rated power of the psu i guesed i might be able to use a slower fan but have no idea what probably would be save enough.

I guess your idea of a pico psu would work if i take the 150W module or something but with a pasive brick i guess the costs would start rising quickly

edh

Post by edh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:58 am

mercyfull_fate wrote:now i switched the fan yate loon fan from the psu (D12BL-12, a 45 cfm/ 76 m^2/h fan) with a case fan from the fractal design mini (40,6 cfm). i was a bit suprised when it actualy worked without hooking a fan up to the fan conector in the psu as i conected it to the 12v line outside of the psu.
I'm not familiar with this PSU but does it offer any fan speed control? Even pretty basic PSUs have it so I would expect so. If you can rewire the Fractal design fan to connect to the PSU fan header then you will get it running silently under low loads.

If your system uses as little power as it does then you'd also probably be OK with a 500rpm fan in the PSU as you simply won't be heating it up much.

mercyfull_fate

Post by mercyfull_fate » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:12 am

I looked it up and it does have temperature regulated fan control, so thats worth a try, thanks, in its original state i never noticed a diference in noise between idle and load tho.
It will be a bit of a pain to get that plastic part of the conector of the psu tho....

edit:
I hooked the fractal case fan i put in the psu up with the psu's fan header and that helped a lot. Guess i should have thought about dong that initialy, thanks for the sugestion.

It still isn't silent but reasonably quiet, and i fear if i lower the psu fan's sound lower some other sound will start popping up anyway.
Though i probably will try it after a while anyway and end up having replaced all fans and start noticing some coil whine:P

hasseb64

Post by hasseb64 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:11 am

Have replaced original fan in Jumper 300W PSU. Terribly high noice it had. Coulden't notice any temp control either, mine is running in a WHS server with 25W load ish.
Did this 15 months ago so I can't remeber what I put in :roll: