Whats good in the current Antec lineup?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

BrianF

Whats good in the current Antec lineup?

Post by BrianF » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 am

I've had one of the original EA430s for the past 5 years an although not categorically quiet, it has been sufficient for me these many years. I'm doing a new build and started with an EA650 Platinum...and was immediately disappointed with what I heard. The fan has a notable growl/chatter that single handedly drowned out everything else (including a stock Intel HSF, no less than three TwoQuiets, and a XFX HD7850 DD). I was going to RMA it presuming I got a lemon but a bit of googling suggests that by and large the series disappoints in the noise department (in one post a few months ago Mike expressed his displeasure with the samples he has heard).

Back to the point, whats good in Antec's current lineup? I've read good things about the TP New series, but these seem to be end of life now (our suppliers don't list them anymore and major etailers like NE list them as discontinued).

CA_Steve

Re: Whats good in the current Antec lineup?

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:01 am

Antec PSUs have been kinda meh, lately. If you are staying in the $120 price range, consider the Seasonic X-560, Kingwin LZP-550 for semi-passive fans.