Quiet UPS?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

piglover

Quiet UPS?

Post by piglover » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Anybody have any suggestions for a modest size, very quiet UPS for indoor/office use? Just need to protect my PC, an associated SFF VMWare server, a printer and a few peripherals. The whole desk area draws max 250W.

Just looking for suggestions from people who might have experience. Want to avoid AC buzz, coil whine, fans, etc...

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet UPS?

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 am

There's a couple of longer "searching for a quiet UPS" threads elsewhere in the forums. I've been happy with the APC BE750:
- fanless
- master/slave power switching: turns off accessories when PC goes to sleep/turned off
- surge protection for coax and phone
- adjustable sensitivity for kicking on during line "quality" events. I live in an area where there are a fair amount of these events and have never had a problem with the UPS failing to kick in for a second to 10 sec as needed.

Stuff I don't like:
-I can't turn the warning tone off when house power fails other than by turning the UPS off. Drives my dog crazy. Maybe the G version can..
- interaction with my old Corsair PSU (Seasonic M12). Get some nice buzz on the PSU when the UPS takes over. Still works fine, though.

piglover

Post by piglover » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 pm

I searched for other threads before I posted but didn't see any. Have to admit I didn't look too hard... :).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the APC BE750 a look.

efahl

Post by efahl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I got a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD for my son's recording studio and he's been very happy with it. His machine is pretty low power (i5-2500 with no video card), so the power draw rarely exceeds 100w, but even when he's doing big mixes, the UPS's fan has never come on.

Oh, I should mention why I got this in preference to an APC. Apparently some modern high-efficiency PSUs have problems with square wave output from a UPS, so I got the "pure sine wave" CyberPower to avoid any such problems.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:38 am

piglover wrote:I searched for other threads before I posted but didn't see any. Have to admit I didn't look too hard... :).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the APC BE750 a look.
A couple items up on the same page of the subforum as this thread, with a nearly identical title: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55638. Just saying.