Quiestest 750w PSU ??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

shabba007

Quiestest 750w PSU ??

Post by shabba007 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 am

Hi all,

sorry if this is a question that's been asked before, but new tech is always coming out. I'm after a 750-850w power supply that is quiet, especially under load as im sick of my coolermaster gx 750 which for your information sounds like a jet engine just when doing general browsing.

I say quiet under load as I use SLI with a couple of GTX 460's, an I7 sandy bridge and PS79 X79 pro motherboard.

I've been reading about the Nexus RX-8500 850W at around £130 and wondered if there were any better choices at that price range.

thanks, :D

bonestonne

Re: Quiestest 750w PSU ??

Post by bonestonne » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm

That's some serious power draw under a heavy load that you're looking at. Nexus Power supplies are very good units, however under the heavy load, it may warm up more than you want it to do.

Look for a power supply rated by continuous output, and not peak output, as it will give you more headroom for very high power draw. I have an Antec High Current Gamer 750 powering my dual Xeon rig, and while my power draw doesn't match those 460's, it's no Raspberry Pi (5W, for those who don't know). The HCG750 is more than I need, but the long cables, and physical size of the unit made it a perfect fit for my case, something that doesn't always work out well.