Seasonics PSUs buzzing/whinning alternative brand advice?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ColoradoJack

Seasonics PSUs buzzing/whinning alternative brand advice?

Post by ColoradoJack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:01 am

Hello,

I had already four Seasonic PSUs. I started with X-760 (SS-760KM Active PFC F3) and
after that I had three X-650 (SS-650KM3 Active PFC F3).
All of them were more or less buzzing during the PC run and after the PC was turned off.
So I returned them.

Now I put an order for new Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3), but I am afraid it will be the same.

I heard/read, that Seasonic is good brand and reviews for their PSUs always get great ranking.
I am already pissed off. I did not expect such issues with the PSUs for about 175 USD. It costs me valuable time.

Would you know some alternative PSU around 650W with hybrid/silent mode and modular cables? Another brand. Not Seasonic.

I also noticed during some testing at the third PSU, that when only MOBO is connected
there is absolutely no buzzing or whinning. Only silence.
When I connect the rail with BluRay and SSD disk on it, PSU starts make these sounds.

Yours sincerely,

CJ

Runes

Re: Seasonics PSUs buzzing/whinning alternative brand advice

Post by Runes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm in the same boat.

I had a S12 430W back when I had my Athlon X2 and I loved it. Still works to this day but it's far too outdated & underpowered for a modern build; plus I don't want to risk an old cap going and nuking my system.

So I thought, hey the X series is rated so well at JonnyGuru.com it's a no brainer. But then I thought, "Hey I should check SPCR first, see if any other PSU has proved more worthy."

Then I came across a lot of complaints of Seasonic PSUs whining squealing buzzing etc..

So now I'm thinking, maybe Seasonic has gotten so popular that their quality control is slipping? Perhaps another brand based off of them but with a higher price may be better, so I found the "be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10" series, which is based off the Seasonic X series. I haven't found any accounts of those having squealing, but I'm assuming they also sell much less of them than Seasonic does.

Next I started thinking about Enermax, because years ago I remember reading great things about their Modu82+ series on SPCR. It looks like they have another one in the Revolution87+ and the Platimax (as well as a Modu82+ II). I have read really bad reviews of their Triathlor and NAXN PSUs making noise, but I think they're made by a different manufacturer.

JonnyGuru.com talks about how a lot of PSUs are using a Super Flower design called "Golden King" which they like. But then again, I've never read a JG review that mentions electrical whine, squeal, buzz, etc.. Just performance and fan noise.

Honestly I'm stumped. I wish a manufactuerer would put effort into desinging one specifically to combat ALL noise. Fan & buzzing/squealing/whining

When I'm spending $180-250 on a PSU, it would be nice to not have to worry about that.

Maybe there should be an official thread to document PSUs that squeal, whine, buzz. And what hardware they're paired with. So we can start to figure this out.

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi,

I wanted just to add an "me too" -comment. I'm too disappointed on my new Seasonic X-series 650W (80 Gold+ rated, I'm not sure if there are other kind of this model and wattage) power supply. It makes a whining, or more like buzzing sound when the computer is on, but also when powered off. I'm not sure the store will take it back (they are not oblidged to according to my countrys law, as I'm not sure the "buzzing" counts as a defect), but it is tempting to ask - at this price, I would expect not to hear such noises, especially when at standby, but neither when powered on. In any case it will cause hassle, and take my precious time (which I also value). Also, I'm not sure which brand / model I can trust as a replacement, at least from those that are available where I live.

Luckily this is not a Desktop PC, but a HTPC that is a bit more far away. I believe it could disturb my sleeping if it was in the same room, although I haven't analyzed it that much (just overheard the buzzing at idle -sound when installing, and noticed it doesn't go away when the computer is turned on).

So, any other recommendation are welcome. This is the only PSU on the < 650 recommended list here at SPCR, that's available in my country (Finland).

BTW, IIRC, I red somewhere that some of the noises at standby is caused by lower current at standby (forced / introduced by some recent EU requirements) - which can be remedied by some BIOS options, which, sadly, my MB BIOS does not have. The options would remove some standby features, though (like wake-on-USB, wake-on-keystroke). Personally I think it's stll sloppy quality on the manufacturers part in any case.
Last edited by Wild Penguin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:41 pm

ColoradoJack wrote:I also noticed during some testing at the third PSU, that when only MOBO is connected
there is absolutely no buzzing or whinning. Only silence.
When I connect the rail with BluRay and SSD disk on it, PSU starts make these sounds.
I would crosscheck that either of those are not the source of the whining, some ssds can whine, but its not very likely, i still think its the PSU, but its better to crosscheck.
ColoradoJack wrote:I am already pissed off. I did not expect such issues with the PSUs for about 175 USD. It costs me valuable time.
It would be great if you could list all the hardware you using, maybe you could get by with a little less power, with something like,
Kingwin Striker STR500 reviewed by SPCR Fanless PSUs: Kingwin Stryker STR-500 & Silverstone ST50NF
Rosewill SilentNight 500 reviewed by SPCR Rosewill Silent Night 500 Platinum 80 Plus
ColoradoJack wrote:Would you know some alternative PSU around 650W with hybrid/silent mode and modular cables? Another brand. Not Seasonic.
If you truly need 650W, then imo the best alternative to Seasonic X series is Kingwin LZP Series. also has hybrid fan that will turn off based on tempertaure, the 550 version was reviewed by SPCR, Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply. There are higher wattage version of the LZPs, including one that maches your 650W desire, KINGWIN LZP-650 650W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am

What Abula has said. Only overclocked or SLI/Crossfire rigs need more than 300-500W. And even 500W is overkill unless you have a very high end power hungry videocard. I have Rosewill SilentNight 500W (same as KingWin Stryker STR-500) and it has zero problems powering 3570K with HD7970.

shunx

Post by shunx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm now quite suspicious of Seasonic because of these posts. Is the Corsair AX series just re-badged Seasonic?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 pm

shunx wrote:I'm now quite suspicious of Seasonic because of these posts. Is the Corsair AX series just re-badged Seasonic?
Corsair ax are made by seasonic, no sure they are rebradges, with the exception of the ax1200 which is made by flextronics, the new line of AX i, all 3 models are made by flextronics.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:14 am

shunx wrote:I'm now quite suspicious of Seasonic because of these posts. Is the Corsair AX series just re-badged Seasonic?
Statistically the sample variance is way to small for a founded assumption ;-)

But i can understand how you're feeling.

ColoradoJack

Post by ColoradoJack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

At that Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3) there was almost noticable buzzing sound,
it sounds only like the electricity goes inside the PSU from the socket and circulate there,
so I kept this one.

Seasonic should really start to work on this issue, because I am not only one with these problems.
I would REALLY not expect it at such expensives PSUs and at the company which is involved into PC PSUs
since 1980.