searching for a semi-passive

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

NewKID

searching for a semi-passive

Post by NewKID » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:50 pm

currently looking for new parts to transform my computer to become as quiet as possible. im having trouble deciding which semi-passive/passive power supplies. is the Seasonic G 550w (SeaSonic SSR-550RM) still a highly recommended power supply? are there other semi passive or fully passive power supplies i should check out?

my current computer consists of:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
Noctua NH D14
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB 1.5V ram
Intel 320 ssd
2x 7200rpm hdd
MSI Twin Frozr III 7950
OCZ ZX 850w

all of this is enclosed in a Corsair 500r filled with Noctua NF P12 fans

quest_for_silence

Re: searching for a semi-passive

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:25 am

NewKID wrote:is the Seasonic G 550w (SeaSonic SSR-550RM) still a highly recommended power supply?

The Seasonic G-series and derivatives are solid units, but far from being "highly recommendable" noise-wise.

NewKID wrote:are there other semi passive or fully passive power supplies i should check out?

There are a lot of quieter units around: their quietness, however, doesn't depends of being passive/semi-passive units.

Broadly speaking, you should state a budget for the PSU, but meanwhile give a read to the relevant SPCR articles.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:51 am

NewKID wrote:are there other semi passive or fully passive power supplies i should check out?
Just to clarify, the G series are not semi-passive, the fan runs all of the time. That's not to say it's necessarily any louder in practice as typically at low load with a thermally controlled fan a modern PSU can be very quiet. You could of course make the G series quieter by doing a fan swap or voltmod. It's very easy to hook a PSU fan up to 5V within the PSU if you are handy with a soldering iton. While yes, it might cut out at high load, the chances are you won't get to that kind of level with your system. You can assume that at 5V a fan might run at around half the speed it would at 12V and with a 550W PSU using less than 300W, you would be fine but of course invalidate the warranty.

NewKID

Post by NewKID » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:19 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
NewKID wrote:is the Seasonic G 550w (SeaSonic SSR-550RM) still a highly recommended power supply?

The Seasonic G-series and derivatives are solid units, but far from being "highly recommendable" noise-wise.

There are a lot of quieter units around: their quietness, however, doesn't depends of being passive/semi-passive units.

Broadly speaking, you should state a budget for the PSU, but meanwhile give a read to the relevant SPCR articles.
my budget for the power supply is under $150 CAD.
I just assumed that the fanless power supplies would be the quietest. with the top and back fans as exhausts plus the front and bottom fans as intake. do you think my computer case will sufficiently cool a passive psu?
edh wrote:
Just to clarify, the G series are not semi-passive, the fan runs all of the time. That's not to say it's necessarily any louder in practice as typically at low load with a thermally controlled fan a modern PSU can be very quiet. You could of course make the G series quieter by doing a fan swap or voltmod. It's very easy to hook a PSU fan up to 5V within the PSU if you are handy with a soldering iton. While yes, it might cut out at high load, the chances are you won't get to that kind of level with your system. You can assume that at 5V a fan might run at around half the speed it would at 12V and with a 550W PSU using less than 300W, you would be fine but of course invalidate the warranty.
my mistake, i thought the G series was semi. i must've mistaken it with an X650 review i've read.
i'd rather not open the unit. i like my warranties.
is there a quiet power supply under $150 that stands out in your mind?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 am

NewKID wrote:do you think my computer case will sufficiently cool a passive psu?

Yes, the Carbide 500R should be able to provide enough cooling for an high quality passive unit (Seasonic/Silverstone/XFX or SuperFlower/Rosewill/Kingwin).

NewKID wrote:is there a quiet power supply under $150 that stands out in your mind?

There are several options: just for instance on NewEgg Canada among the fanned options there are the Rosewill Tachyon (reviewed as Kingwin Lazer Platinum on SPCR), the Seasonic X660, the Seasonic Platinum 660, the XFX PRO 850W Black Edition Full Modular and the eVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W are the first ones which come to mind. On a maybe lower quality level there's also the Corsair RM750.
Among the fanless options you may consider: the Seasonic Platinum 460FL and the Seasonic Platinum 520FL.
Obviously there are other supplier than NewEgg, mine is just an exemplification.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:28 am

I like quest suggestion on the Rosewill Tachycon, or if you can increase your budget there is also a fanless thats worth considering, Rosewill SilentNight-500 500W Continuous @50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS PLATINUM, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Fan-less Active PFC Power Supply, reviewed by SPCR Rosewill Silent Night 500 Platinum 80 Plus

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:among the fanned options there are the Rosewill Tachyon (reviewed as Kingwin Lazer Platinum on SPCR)

I guess you should forget the Rosewill Tachyon: as far as I know now, the Rosewill Tachyon should not be semi passive (even better, it should be the only Super Flower Golden King-based PSU with the fan always on, differently from the various Kingwin, Azza, Silentmaxx siblings).

NewKID

Post by NewKID » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:13 am

thank you for the informative replies and list of viable options. i have now know much more about power supplies since the original post.

do you guys think its worth replacing the OCZ ZX850w?