What Semi passive or fanless PSU to choose

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Hybrid Vigor

What Semi passive or fanless PSU to choose

Post by Hybrid Vigor » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:50 am

Hi there,

I'm planning to kick out the last 'troublemaker' in my PC. It is currently a Cooler Master M2 Silent 420 W PSU, whose fan is not a screamer but since my system is completely fanless at low load, I've choosen the PSU to be dead silent as well. At least at low loads. My system temps are pretty ok, something between upper 20's and lower 50's (CPU) C° at full load.

I have a Asrock z87m Pro 4 board with an i5 4670 (I use the Intel graphics), 4 GB RAM, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 CD Rom. Case is a Cooler Master Silencio 650 pure. As per my power meter the system uses something between 15 W (idle) and 50 W (load).

I've spent a lot of time for research on PSU's and it seems to me that the PSU choice is the hardest choice to make, especially when it comes to reasonable pricing. Too short cable lenght here, bad reviews there. Actually I'm confused.

Maybe you guys can recommend me something which is at least semi-passive at low loads or fanless. Modular cables are nice but not necessary. I don't want to spend more than 90 € (120 $).

Thanks for reading and commenting.
:wink:

CA_Steve

Re: What Semi passive or fanless PSU to choose

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Welcome to SPCR. Where are you in the Eurozone?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Search for Corsair RM450, should be within your budget, its semi passive under light load, gold rated, fully modular.

Hybrid Vigor

Post by Hybrid Vigor » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for you replies. I'm from Germany.
The Corsair looks good. I'll read a bit about it. I'll get back to this topic when I replaced the PSU.
Thanks

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:45 am

Hybrid Vigor wrote:I don't want to spend more than 90 € (120 $).

Corsair RM450, look for it at amazon.de

P.S.: if you mind, you can find also the Super Flower Golden Silent 430W (80Plus Gold, fanless) for just under 110 euros, from several other sources.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:00 am

You might also try pcpartpicker.

Another possibility is the BeQuiet! E9. Fan speed is less than 300rpm until it hits heavy loads (which you'd never see in your system). You could go with the 400W model. Downside is the non-CM versions are attached cables rather than modular.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 am

CA_Steve wrote:You might also try pcpartpicker.

partpicker as a sourcing helper has (still) a little appeal in EU (due to the limited number of merchant listed): IMO it do need to be integrated by results coming from german price comparators/shopping engines - such as idealo.de, geizhals.de, or maybe twenga.de - which usually work far better than pp, when you already know what to look for.