Much coil whine from Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520 - ARG!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tbessie

Much coil whine from Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520 - ARG!

Post by tbessie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Hey all...

I went through a lot of effort to make my new build as quiet as possible. It's damn near silent - EXCEPT for the PSU.

I got a Seasonic Fanless Plantinum 520 ; some people had mentioned coin whine, others had said they didn't hear it.

When I first bought it, and using this computer on and off for a few months, it was fine.

Now that I've started using it regularly and leaving it on all day, however, it's started the buzz / whine / noise people talk about.

Any suggestions for any PSUs at this wattage (or possibly slightly higher, definitely don't need more than 800, but 500-600 is probably fine) that NEVER make ANY kind of noise? No coil whine, silent fan that doesn't go bad, etc?

After spending all this time making the computer so quiet, I'm annoyed that something like the PSU is doing it; it's not just a barely-audible hum you have to be within 1 foot to hear - I can hear it 6 feet away at my desk.

- Tim

Abula

Re: Much coil whine from Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520 - ARG

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 pm

There is no PSU in the world that can guarantee no Coil whine. That said, Corsair is marketing their new RM series as no coil whine, inside the power range you are looking are the Cosair RM450 and RM550.

tbessie

Re: Much coil whine from Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520 - ARG

Post by tbessie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Abula wrote:There is no PSU in the world that can guarantee no Coil whine. That said, Corsair is marketing their new RM series as no coil whine, inside the power range you are looking are the Cosair RM450 and RM550.
Thanks! I'll take a look at those.

Everyone else, keep the suggestions coming! :-)

- Tim