Corsair RM 750 .. how to stress for testing?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

joeythebull

Corsair RM 750 .. how to stress for testing?

Post by joeythebull » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 am

Hi, with the help of some folks here form the group I managed to get together a decent build. I ended up purchasing a Corsair RM 750 which is overpowered for my build. I'm in the middle of sorting out a recall issue with NewEgg so my case hardware is sort of in limbo.

I'd like to force the PSU fan to come on just so I can hear it. Some reports of this PSU are that it can be noisy so I want to make sure I didn't get a bad one. Is there any software I can run to manually turn the fan or or is there any software I can run that will draw enough power to cause the fan to engage? I haven't seen any commands in my CMOS or in the "easy tune" fan software provided by Gigabyte which isn't too surprising as the fan control appears to be internal to the PSU.

Also, does SPR have a suggested stress test to do on new builds? I have furmark, GPU-Z, GPU Shark, & CPU burner. How long should I need to run a load test to get the best data? Is 10-15 minutes on load enough to see how things are? Also, are there any links or resources for the acceptable temp ranges for my CPU and GPU? I have a rough idea, but I thought maybe there was a website that would give more processor specific information.

BTW, so far the noise level is very acceptable although I haven't extensively run it under load. Thanks for all who helped me on this one.

My build:
-------------------------
PSU: Corsair RM 750
Mobo: GA-B85-HD3:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4566#sp
CPU: Xeon E3 1230 V3
http://ark.intel.com/products/75054/int ... e-3_30-ghz
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC (100362-2SR)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... 0101&lid=1
Case: Fractal Design R4 no window
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x8GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue
SSD: Samsung EVO 250GB
DVD: Lite-on
Xtra case fan: Antec TrueQuiet 140mm fan
CPU Cooler: Mugen 4 (SCMG-400)

CA_Steve

Re: Corsair RM 750 .. how to stress for testing?

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm

prime95 small fft plus Furmark would stress both CPU and GPU. If that doesn't turn the fan on, nothing in your system will...unless you want to toy with overvolting the CPU and GPU.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:59 am

CA_Steve wrote:prime95 small fft plus Furmark would stress both CPU and GPU.

IMO either an infinite loop of OCCT PSU test (so a single app to do the whole job) would work fine (and it will output a final report on voltages too), even if probably FurMark is still more demanding for the GPU.

Alternatively to Prime95, Intel Burn Test would stress quite heavily the CPU and memory subsystem.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 am

Luca,

I'll reply to other comments a little later, but regarding my recalled Corsair RM 750, would a Seasonic G-750 SSR-750RM be a good replacement for the Corsair rm 750? NewEgg is having a sale on this model today. I know you said you didn't prefer the seasonics but is this particular model better than the cheaper models you were considering?

UPDATE: Hell with it, I just bought the seasonic SSR-750RM for $80, $40 less than I paid for the Corsair RM 750. I'm sure it will be louder but I'm running out time and patience and need to get something ordered so I'm not without a PC for too long.
Last edited by joeythebull on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks all. Testing is on hold as I'm probably going to return this PSU rather than go through the recall hassle with Corsair, but I will remember your comments for when the time comes.

I thought NewEgg would have the new models out being the recall was 5 month ago, but my lot number was 1338 and the corrected models start at 1341. Lot number is printed on outside of box packaging. It took NewEgg over a week to tell me they couldn't check the box before shipping and now I've got an RMA.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am

joeythebull wrote:Hell with it, I just bought the seasonic SSR-750RM for $80, $40 less than I paid for the Corsair RM 750. I'm sure it will be louder but I'm running out time and patience and need to get something ordered so I'm not without a PC for too long.

I think I've already told you which PSUs may offer more chances of running quietly: however, I don't know the new G-Series, electrically they are close to the RM, acoustically YMMV.

I also expect that one run more noticeable than the Corsair, but if you mind, you might do a short review for us.
In case, it would be appreciated. Good luck!

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:20 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
joeythebull wrote:Hell with it, I just bought the seasonic SSR-750RM for $80, $40 less than I paid for the Corsair RM 750. I'm sure it will be louder but I'm running out time and patience and need to get something ordered so I'm not without a PC for too long.

I think I've already told you which PSUs may offer more chances of running quietly: however, I don't know the new G-Series, electrically they are close to the RM, acoustically YMMV.

I also expect that one run more noticeable than the Corsair, but if you mind, you might do a short review for us.
In case, it would be appreciated. Good luck!
I'll be happy to post my thoughts on the Seasonic and the entire build once it's finally together, but I'm sure it's going to be rather subjective. If SPR has any guidelines for review (i.e. how to judge sound) please let me know.