Kingwin - No Canadian Warranty

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jazzcat

Kingwin - No Canadian Warranty

Post by jazzcat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:15 pm

The STR-500 looks decent enough, they sell it through amazon.ca and newegg.ca, but will not honour the 5 year warranty. It is for USA customers only (I called to confirm). They said they had problems with customs but RMA items normally go across the border as "warranty" with no value declared. How could they allow there products to be sold here, and only offer the customer the 30 day return via the reseller?

Something is definitely odd here.

Every other manufacturer (seasonic) does not have these issues. Looks like they don't need the business from 30 million plus customers just north of the border or is the marketing department completely incompetent?

The only other alternative is Rosewill now.

Any Canadian buyers buy from these brands? Where?

edh

Re: Kingwin - No Canadian Warranty

Post by edh » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:23 am

jazzcat wrote:How could they allow there products to be sold here, and only offer the customer the 30 day return via the reseller?
I'm obviously no expert on Canadian law here but I would be highly surprised if you are only going to get a 30 day warranty. An extended manufacturer warranty you might not get but if in law a seller has to offer a warranty, you can always take it back to them within whatever period the law states. Remember that your contract for sale of goods is with the retailer, NOT the manufacturer.

To be honest with something like a PSU it will either fail early on or after many, many years by which point it might well be obsolete anyway. The first year is the most important year to have a warranty on.