It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Seasonic Platinum 1200 (SS-1200XP3): Noisy?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 am 
-- Vendor --

Hi Luca,
The P-1200 does have a Hybrid function where it runs can run in Fanless mode.
Under normal fan control, non-hybrid mode, the fan runs in our normal fan control mode.

There are 3x Fanless units, 400FL, 460FL & 520FL.
The new XP2 has better fan/noise performance than XP1.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:56 am 

Seasonic Rep wrote:
Under normal fan control, non-hybrid mode, the fan runs in our normal fan control mode.

I'm not sure whether you've answered to my questions, but anyway, which is the minimum fan speed under the Normal fan control mode, according to Seasonic techies?

Moreover, according to SPCR (as well as other sources findings), the original 2009 KM platform (the 80Plus Gold-rated X-650) was able to run quiet up to an ambient temperature of 40°C with a load of about 300W, while the current P1200XP3 seemed not able to run quiet with an about 100W load and an ambient temperature of about 37°C in Hybrid mode.

I understand that you're tied to your official role, but noise-wise that seems a worse performance for the 5-years newer and more capable XP3 platform, at least from a SPCR-reader perspective, and IMHO Seasonic should take an official position (refutation?) about those findings (even if not here), as consumers can not settle for simple ritual denials.

That's my last note about this topic, thanks for your understanding and good luck to KILLi & Curvin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 am 

Hello quest_for_silence,

I'd say that there's a misunderstanding: the SS-1200XP3 is not so loud because it was designed to be so, but because there seems to be a flaw in the first batch (and eventually later ones, too) of devices.
Apparently all of the noisy P-1200 have come from this batch and currently Seasonic is investigating the issue, as they are not designed to be that loud.

To second the Seasonic rep, I, too like to be on the safer side, cooling wise. I don't mind some minimal fan noise if it dramatically helps the stability and lifetime of a device. Therefore, I wouldn't even bother with hybrid modes, as in my opinion even a very small, constant airflow is much, much better than no airflow at all. So I'd rather not use hybrid modes on any PSU and stick to the normal fan profile where heat gets transferred away before a tremendous amount can build up. Furthermore, hybrid mode introduces great temperature variations, which, in my opinion, is additionally detrimental to the life expectancy of electronic components.

So, I was not seeking an utterly silent PSU, but what I got delivered with the P-1200 was far from acceptable. In fact, the air that got exhausted by the unit was outright cold, which is a clear indication of unneccessary high fan speed.
Up to yesterday, I was not sure whether it was a design flaw, a broken batch of units or if it was purely intentional because most people that need a 1.2kW-PSU will have to get this amount of heat transferred out from their PC case, which will hardly be possible in a silent manner (if one doesn't use a sophisticated watercooling solution). But now we know that there seems to be a flaw with this model, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 am 

KILLI wrote:
as they are not designed to be that loud.

Hello KILLI,

just to clarify (I stated I wouldn't have made further post about): that's either why I asked to our kind Seasonic Rep "which is the minimum fan speed under the Normal fan control mode, according to Seasonic techies?", or why I used phrases like "the current P1200XP3 seemed not able to run quiet" (as a sort of dubitative mood).

I'm not sure about the causes, I just know several people (you, Curvin, the TPU reviewer, I guess some others) found that P1200 was somehow noisier than expected (as you said, "far from acceptable").

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 am 
-- Vendor --

Hi All,

Just a quick update.

Our QA manager has informed me that they found one unit where a post production ECN had a cold-solder hand solder rework and this unit exhibited the same symptoms as what was posted here.

Apparently, a SMD component in the fan control circuit was changed after the production run and the correction was made by hand and not the wave solder. Human error.... :-(

Sorry for the inconvenience....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:43 am 
-- Vendor --

quest_for_silence wrote:
KILLI wrote:
as they are not designed to be that loud.

Hello KILLI,

just to clarify (I stated I wouldn't have made further post about): that's either why I asked to our kind Seasonic Rep "which is the minimum fan speed under the Normal fan control mode, according to Seasonic techies?", or why I used phrases like "the current P1200XP3 seemed not able to run quiet" (as a sort of dubitative mood).

I'm not sure about the causes, I just know several people (you, Curvin, the TPU reviewer, I guess some others) found that P1200 was somehow noisier than expected (as you said, "far from acceptable").

The P1200 is actually designed to be quieter than the other P series units. How slow is the lowest rotation, I do not know and must ask our PM for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 pm 

Seasonic Rep wrote:
Hi All,

Just a quick update.

Our QA manager has informed me that they found one unit where a post production ECN had a cold-solder hand solder rework and this unit exhibited the same symptoms as what was posted here.

Apparently, a SMD component in the fan control circuit was changed after the production run and the correction was made by hand and not the wave solder. Human error.... :-(

Sorry for the inconvenience....

Thank you for following that up.

I knew that there had to be an explanation, as the profile was just so different to anything I had experienced before, and didn't make an sense from an engineering point to have the fans behave in that manner.

All the best in resolving the issue and mopping up the remaining units that slipped past QA.

I suppose the question for those reading in and interested in the units, is how to narrow down which have the issue , is it a production run/ serial range ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm 
-- Vendor --

This is a production run issue, not a series issue.