How quiet are the SeaSonic Snow Silents?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Fire-Flare

How quiet are the SeaSonic Snow Silents?

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

I thought my SS-1200XP3's noise levels were due to receiving a bad unit, until I read the thread on them here.

Are the Snow Silents any better? How do they compare to the Gold X-Series?

quest_for_silence

Re: How quiet are the SeaSonic Snow Silents?

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:I thought my SS-1200XP3's noise levels were due to receiving a bad unit, until I read the thread on them here.

Are the Snow Silents any better? How do they compare to the Gold X-Series?
Yes they are, but it depends of your expected power draw: at any rate, 1050/1200 XM2 are worse than your 1200 XP3, which is worse than the Snow Silent 1050.

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 am

From what you said in a previous thread :
quest_for_silence wrote:The FDB fan on the Snow Silent is a mediocre one, sound-wise, more a marketing gimnick than a real advancement over the usual Sanyo Denki ones, but the 1050W PSU may operate fanless under any condition up to about 450W DC, so that it should be perfectly up to the task (and a marvelous unit performance & reliability wise). The 750W Snow Silent, on the other hand, have a much shorter fanless operation, particularly over 27-28°C ambient temp, so apparently it isn't as quiet as any of the other quoted PSUs (neither it can be considered as loud, at least up to 300W DC, while above that mark its conservative controller makes the FDB fan noise signature clearly more noticeable).
Am i getting right that the Snow Silent PSUs are silent only in fanless mode?
It's pretty sad that their FDB fan is noisier than a ball bearing one...

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Neocray wrote:Am i getting right that the Snow Silent PSUs are silent only in fanless mode?
Not that right, I suppose: define silent, please.

Neocray wrote:It's pretty sad that their FDB fan is noisier than a ball bearing one...
I said: "more a marketing gimnick than a real advancement over the usual Sanyo Denki ones".
You said something different, didn't you?

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:15 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Not that right, I suppose: define silent, please.
Quieter than a snowfall, as the name suggest.
quest_for_silence wrote:I said: "more a marketing gimnick than a real advancement over the usual Sanyo Denki ones".
You said something different, didn't you?
All right, then does it mean that this fan is not worse, not better than the usual fan?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:56 am

Neocray wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Not that right, I suppose: define silent, please.
Quieter than a snowfall, as the name suggest.

Whether it doesn't whine, it's silent when it's fanless.
When the fan kicks in, your mileage may vary depending of the specific SS (the 750 kicks in early but more gently, the 1050 does later but more noticeably), other PC fans, PC placement and PSU mounting.
The cheap fan doesn't withdraw it's among the quietest, high quality options around.

Neocray wrote:then does it mean that this fan is not worse, not better than the usual fan?

Exactly: in my opinion it's somehow different (as noise signature) but all in all about equivalent (and yes, I don't like both that much, though there are far worse fans around).

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Whether it doesn't whine, it's silent when it's fanless.
When the fan kicks in, your mileage may vary depending of the specific SS (the 750 kicks in early but more gently, the 1050 does later but more noticeably), other PC fans, PC placement and PSU mounting.
The cheap fan doesn't withdraw it's among the quietest, high quality options around.
With a better fan, it could have been a near-perfect unit, then.
quest_for_silence wrote:Exactly: in my opinion it's somehow different (as noise signature) but all in all about equivalent (and yes, I don't like both that much, though there are far worse fans around).
I've already guessed you're not fond of Seasonic units' fans.
Which one would have your preference between the Sanyo Denki and the FDB bearing?

Anyway, thanks for your explanations.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 am

Neocray wrote:With a better fan, it could have been a near-perfect unit, then.

There's such a chance.

Neocray wrote:Which one would have your preference between the Sanyo Denki and the FDB bearing?
It's hard to say, they were used with different fan controllers (the Sanyo usually start higher): with some large pinches of salt I'd say that the first is higher pitched and a touch whiny, the latter seems more clicky and lower pitched. Quality-wise (reliability-wise) the Sanyo should turn as a tad better than the cheaper SS one.

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:46 am

quest_for_silence wrote:It's hard to say, they were used with different fan controllers (the Sanyo usually start higher): with some large pinches of salt I'd say that the first is higher pitched and a touch whiny, the latter seems more clicky and lower pitched. Quality-wise (reliability-wise) the Sanyo should turn as a tad better than the cheaper SS one.
Then, taking the look apart, the P-series equivalent may be a wiser (and cheaper) choice than the SS...

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:02 am

Neocray wrote:Then, taking the look apart, the P-series equivalent may be a wiser (and cheaper) choice than the SS...

The higher Platinum units are just noisy per SPCR standards, most of times, as you may see in several threads.
On the other hand, a Platinum 660/760 might be a more sensible choice over a SS 750W, IMHO, but it mosty depends of local pricing.
Take also into consideration that Seasonic will release its newest Prime lineup (80 plus titanium) next may.