ATX PSU for HTPC

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Xyvotha

ATX PSU for HTPC

Post by Xyvotha » Mon May 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi all, I got very limited choices in my country, please give me advice in which one i should get of the following.
If fan noise is an issue, I have the option to swap the fan, no problem there:

- CORSAIR CS450M Modular - $99
- CORSAIR CX500 V2 - $85
- COOLER MASTER Elite Power 400W - $40

No other low power models available :/
Thanks in advance!

quest_for_silence

Re: ATX PSU for HTPC

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Xyvotha wrote:Hi all, I got very limited choices in my country, please give me advice in which one i should get of the following.
If fan noise is an issue, I have the option to swap the fan, no problem there:

- CORSAIR CS450M Modular - $99
- CORSAIR CX500 V2 - $85
- COOLER MASTER Elite Power 400W - $40

The Cooler Master Elite Power is more probably that not one of the worst branded unit in the market, personally I'd avoid it like the plague.

About those Corsairs, the CS-M is quieter than the CX-V2, and it's one of the most efficient units in the market, so it's my favourite among those quoted PSUs: unfortunately it's also the more expensive one, although they both seem overpriced (I think that you have some nasty prices there in Peru, haven't you? What about Amazon.com? Won't they ship to you for a reasonable rate?).

Xyvotha

Post by Xyvotha » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:The Cooler Master Elite Power is more probably that not one of the worst branded unit in the market, personally I'd avoid it like the plague.

About those Corsairs, the CS-M is quieter than the CX-V2, and it's one of the most efficient units in the market, so it's my favourite among those quoted PSUs: unfortunately it's also the more expensive one, although they both seem overpriced (I think that you have some nasty prices there in Peru, haven't you? What about Amazon.com? Won't they ship to you for a reasonable rate?).
Could you believe a third world country has higher prices on imports? Also, Amazon.com won't ship any electronics to .pe :(
Thanks for the advice!

gorkypl

Post by gorkypl » Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 am

I have recently bought a Fortron FSP250-60EGA for a home NAS.
It's near inaudible when under light load.