APC RS 1500 - UPS seems to be really crappy

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

El_Jefe_of_NY

APC RS 1500 - UPS seems to be really crappy

Post by El_Jefe_of_NY » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 pm

I lost my old login info. I hope i get it back.

In mean time, have to say that my 5 year old APC RS 1500, which mimics "sine" wave via "trapezoidal" curve really sucks.

I have noticed that the main PSU A/C wire 3 prong basic wire thing connection that it was plugged into no longer works. I moved it to a different outlet on the UPS and my new psu/case i just built works.

It should be noted that my Silverstone Nightjar 450 watt v1.0 fried a month ago about. It was chalked up to "being used a lot"

I dont know think so.

Homey don't play that.

no way.

I have the answer: this UPS from APC is terrible and fried the following: Itself, the outlet on it, and it fried the PSU. I am certain of this. I have dirty power here on Long Island, NY. (so i have read) And this APC couldnt handle it, and the brown outs it didnt handle either it seems well. I dont know what it handled well, but I can't do a lab analysis of the parts, I just want to recommend against such things.

I just bought a 149 dollar CyberPower UPS, the "pure sine wave" version. the 1500 model on newegg.com.

I really hope this doesnt fry itself. I have NO idea how one outlet wont power up my system but the other one will. I have no idea how a nightjar silverstone died in 5 years time (4.5 years probably) when it was under half load at max and normally dinking around 70 watts idle or most of time at most.

I blame the APC unit for being low tech and cheaply built despite its brand name and cost at the time. I could be just paranoid and lacking technical knowledge.... however, why does that ONE outlet not work on the UPS/Batter backup section anymore? WHy do the other ones work still? Why does the one that does not work just so happen to be on the same line as the fried PSU (silverstone said my LED code showed blown cap probably but who knows)

Also: cyberpower people on the phone are really nice and quick and pleasant. they helped me pick out a new UPS in a few minutes.

CA_Steve

Re: APC RS 1500 - UPS seems to be really crappy

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Just wondering - do you need a 1500VA UPS because you plan to use the PC for many hours while the power is out? I've been happy with 650 and 750VA fanless units.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 pm

1500 is also fanless (at least on standard operation), running two atm, one for the main gaming PC and its monitor, the cameras (POE), router and switch, the second on server, camera server, the hptc. One has been perfect for almost 4 years now, the second i bought last year and no issues either, no noise until the power goes out. I'm really happy with the performance and prices of cyberpower, im tempeted to try out their Pure Sine Wave version, CyberPower PR1500LCD Smart App Sinewave UPS 1500VA 1050W SNMP/HTTP Mini-Tower, seems its fanless.... but im not sure yet.

El_Jefe_of_NY

Post by El_Jefe_of_NY » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm

I would recommend trying to get the best wave and power conditioning unit you can.

I just blew 300 dollars because the APC unit killed my PSU and so now i bought a new psu, found out it was the APC/UPS that killed it somehow or something.

So, the one im getting from Cyberpower is the "pure sine wave" one. It seems pretty fancy.

I do really hope it is fanless. I didnt think about that. I havent had a fanned unit (aside from when it is on for a while during extended usage). It hear it that has some 98%+ power efficiency or some claim so im guessing it would run fanless. shrug?

And yeah, I do enjoy playing games without stopping when the power goes out. I normally can still do my work or a game for a while (20minutes or so) without much worry. It is a luxary in a way, in another way, most of the UPS's come with fancier features if you get the bigger battery version. I think Cyberpower begins its fancier features at the 1000 line. it has increments between 1000 and 1500 but they arent commonly bought by resellers it seems. The 1500 is lighter than my current one by 10 lbs and the 1500 is only 15 dollars more than than the 1000. shrug. It has an LCD. Cant wait to check it out :D