1U power supply for Evga Hadron case?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gsilver

1U power supply for Evga Hadron case?

Post by gsilver » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:14 pm

The built-in power supply is far louder than I'd like, so I'm looking for alternatives.

This one at least matches the dimensions, but I can't find much information about it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151129

The one reviewer seems to like it.

Does anyone know what I should look for?

quest_for_silence

Re: 1U power supply for Evga Hadron case?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:54 pm

gsilver wrote:Does anyone know what I should look for?
That one should be the current eVGA PSU: http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/IPC/FSP500-501UN.pdf
The Seasonic should be about 2cm longer, so you have to check whether you've spare room for it, or not (it should be so, but double check it).

Anyway, whether the stock Hadron PSU were really loud, maybe you have a too high internal case temperature.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:35 am

you are basically trying to silence a harley.
1u cases are loud by design. they are not meant to be placed within earshot of users, they are designed to go in a separate server closet/room.

gsilver

Post by gsilver » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:15 am

Hmm... Maybe the best thing to do is just to move the system further away until I switch cases.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:29 am

Assuming this is the product -- http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... MA-1001-K1 -- it's not a 1U chassis, but a small tower mITX case that uses 1U PSU. That PSU is rated for 80+ Gold efficiency... which suggests it doesn't generate much of its own. So slowing the PSU fan down could be a viable option -- depending on how much power your system is actually drawing. If you're willing & able to open up the PSU for simple modding, gsilver.

If you don't have an AC power meter, tell us your system details and how it's used & we can provide a reasonable power assessment.

gsilver

Post by gsilver » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:04 am

Yeah. That's the case.

90% of what I use it for is media/web browsing. Even idle is louder than I'd like.

Occasionally, I do some gaming on it. During/after gaming, it will start sounding like a vacuum cleaner. I did some testing, and the PSU is considerably louder than the video card.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 am

If it was mine, I'd rip into that PSU w/o hesitation. But you haven't told us the system details -- when it sounds like a vac, is it pulling 300W or 120W or 70W? This is pertinent.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:15 am

gsilver wrote:Hmm... Maybe the best thing to do is just to move the system further away until I switch cases.

The stock PSU isn't silent, but it shouldn't be loud: that's why I told you about a too much high case temperature.
Anyway, the Seasonic runs fanless up to about 250W, so it could help a lot whether you power draw were compatible with its "silent" range.

gsilver

Post by gsilver » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I went ahead and got the Seasonic.

During gaming, the new PSU does make a bit of a mechanical noise, but the vacuum cleaner is no more. Given the compactness of the system, I'm calling this a success.

I also cannot hear it over the case fans when on the desktop, and my video card uses low enough power to be idle at desktop.

Edit:
Ok, it turns out that when I was first testing it, the PSU was upside down. After fixing that, no mechanical noise, just some mild fan noise even at full load.
So, yeah. Big success.

The biggest downside of the PSU is that it only has one 6-pin PCIe connector and there isn't much of a point of the PSU being modular, given that using one drive means plugging *everything* in... but I secured the extra cabling and it works with my ASUS Strix GTX 970 just fine.

It's got too many fans to call silent, but this is one hell of a machine in a compact/quiet setup.