Question about the Enermax modu 82+ 425W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Stevo_

Re: Question about the Enermax modu 82+ 425W

Post by Stevo_ » Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am

Hush wrote:Were does it stand in in terms of noise and efficiency by today's standards?
I have one since 2009, the fan has gotten louder - although the rpm is constantly at 530- and took on an annoying sound signature,
and I suspect that it's performance is starting to dwindle.
I recently upgraded the components to Z97 and Haswell,
oc'ed the CPU and found a voltage were it ran stable under aida64 for 4 hours.
2 days later the system started BSOD'ing left and right, today i increased the vcore a couple of notches,
so far so good.
Could it be an issue with the PSU, that it's starting to falter after 6 years?
If i do replace it, would the Seasonic 400FL platinum be a good choice?

You may find this of interest, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak, Enermax. Key take away, is the statement below. The modu 82+ series had been discontinued by then and so statement does not apply to it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... well-psu/1
'All current high-end and mid-range models from Enermax are already prepared for the upcoming Intel processors,' the company claims. 'They are equipped with a DC-to-DC converter which enables the so-called ZERO Load Design. These power supplies will deliver rock-stable voltages even at 0W load.'

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Stevo_ wrote:Obviously you have no clue about the sources of power draw in small geometry semiconductors

Said differently: does that matter?

Stevo_ wrote:Regarding the Johnyyguru article it was his remarks on the overshoot that while in spec they were below average

I beg your pardon but (as maybe as above) you're misunderstanding and misrepresenting those data (and again you miss to link the actual page), and moreover those are on-off conditions, not working ones.

Stevo_ wrote:This is the kind of thing that will drive BIOS nuts. Neither modu 82+ I had would even output correct no load voltages as pretty much all PSUs made in the last few years do.

What? I'm sorry but what you say, the way you said, it seems just purposedly spreading FUD, nothing else, nothing more. But I might have you misunderstood, obviously.

By the way, we're going deeply off topic (the Seasonic should be almost surely not defective, as well as the Enermax would look like not defective), so (if you don't mind) let's give a rest.
Power matters as that is the gist of the problem that you don't seem to understand, some older Enermax (not limited to them) PSUs suffered instability at no/low load startup. JohnnyGuru was showing loaded and it was still on the ragged edge, that was from the article you linked but you may choose to read things as you wish. Too bad you're not in the states I still have that POS PSU, I'd ship it to you for free!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 01, 2015 11:22 am

Stevo_ wrote:Power matters as that is the gist of the problem that you don't seem to understand, some older Enermax (not limited to them) PSUs suffered instability at no/low load startup.

That is not into question, and it does not seem related to the OP issue.

Stevo_ wrote:JohnnyGuru was showing loaded and it was still on the ragged edge, that was from the article you linked but you may choose to read things as you wish.

I don't think Jeremy ever wrote what you claim he said: if you think differently, please join us on jonnyguru.com forum, we can debate those facts there without being off topic, and you can explain me better what you think I don't understand.

Stevo_ wrote:Too bad you're not in the states I still have that POS PSU, I'd ship it to you for free!
As said, I already own such a combo (Enermax 82+ and Haswell) and it works like a charm (as many people out there). :wink:

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Fri May 01, 2015 1:12 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Stevo_ wrote:Power matters as that is the gist of the problem that you don't seem to understand, some older Enermax (not limited to them) PSUs suffered instability at no/low load startup.

That is not into question, and it does not seem related to the OP issue. :
Its very related as he has a 2009 or prior model. When he ups core voltage (which affects leakage power linearly but more exponentially with temperature and as an OV condition is reached and dynamic power exponentially at all times VDD^2*freq) the system becomes stable. The problem only manifested when he upgraded to a Haswell based system.
Hush wrote:I have one since 2009
I recently upgraded the components to Z97 and Haswell,
oc'ed the CPU and found a voltage were it ran stable under aida64 for 4 hours.
2 days later the system started BSOD'ing left and right, today i increased the vcore a couple of notches,
so far so good.quote]
quest_for_silence wrote:
Stevo_ wrote:Too bad you're not in the states I still have that POS PSU, I'd ship it to you for free!
As said, I already own such a combo (Enermax 82+ and Haswell) and it works like a charm (as many people out there). :wink:
Is your Enermax series II or the original, the original never was on the Haswell compatibily list and likely had no/low load issues as did many PSUs at the time.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri May 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Stevo_ wrote:Is your Enermax series II or the original, the original never was on the Haswell compatibily list and likely had no/low load issues as did many PSUs at the time.
I can't find any good resource that non-support of the Haswell deeeep sleep states is actually a real issue. Do you have any links? Deactivate them in BIOS/EFI?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 02, 2015 2:54 am

Stevo_ wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

That is not into question, and it does not seem related to the OP issue. :
Its very related as he has a 2009 or prior model. When he ups core voltage (which affects leakage power linearly but more exponentially with temperature and as an OV condition is reached and dynamic power exponentially at all times VDD^2*freq) the system becomes stable. The problem only manifested when he upgraded to a Haswell based system.

No, you're totally incorrect.

Startup conditions do not apply, moreover BSODs happened with the system running (so when there was a load).
Besides you are completely forgetting that the PSU does not feed the CPU directly: any mobo+CPU combo has its own VRMs (voltage regulation modules), so that what happens before those VRMs, if it's in specs (and it is), should not matter.
Eventually the OP issue came out with an heavily overclocked rig with a cheap mobo, not with just the Haswell (even better it happened after two days of regular use): as a matter of fact the Seasonic Platinum didn't solve the issue, that rig doesn't seem stable under 1.229V (just a side note: since 2008 I never saw any Intel CPU running stable at over 4GHz with less than 1.2V)!

Please, for the sake of this thread signal/noise ratio, give a rest to this sort of FUD: if you really want to try to be right, come hell or high waters, please join jonnyguru.com forum, where we can also talk along with some PSU experts, and maybe carry out some more educated guesses...

Stevo_ wrote:Is your Enermax series II or the original, the original never was on the Haswell compatibily list and likely had no/low load issues as did many PSUs at the time.

That's incorrect: first of all, both the series actually are on the official Enermax compatibility list.
Then, even the official Intel Haswell certification means about nothing with reference to the idle low load offered by Haswell rigs you're trying to bring into question: C6 and C7 deep sleep power states applies (i.e. might be of some importance) to battery savings in portable system (and could be outright disabled on desktop mobos, as many vendors did), and the Enermax IS NOT group regulated (group regulation is very often an impedimental feature to the Intel certification process) but take the VRM approach (and as quoted above, Enermax declared both the series as compatible).
At any rate, I own a late (october probably) 2009 one, and it's a first series (side note: the difference between the two series should be mostly limited to the ErP Lot 6 2010 certification for standby power).

Cistron wrote:
I can't find any good resource that non-support of the Haswell deeeep sleep states is actually a real issue. Do you have any links? Deactivate them in BIOS/EFI?

Some mobos vendors actually disabled them by default; anyway, it should be disabled for desktop (you don't run on batteries, right?), and it is not a real issue: forget it.

Hush

Post by Hush » Sat May 02, 2015 8:35 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Hush wrote:That was my understanding too, but the fact is the rpm was a static 530 with the new MB.

That might be normal: power draw was different, heat dumped into the case too.

Hush wrote:should i be worried that the seasonic is defective due to the rise in temps across the system?

Currently I don't think it's likely defective (though a handy PSU tester is a useful tool), but might we start from some more comprehensive, detailled specs (which is the case, how you mounted the PSU, which are the fans, how you run them, and so on)?
case: Antec Solo (original)
PSU: Seasonic x 400FL Platinum
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
Cooler: Scythe kotetsu With stock glidestream fan
RAM: Kingston HyperX fury 1866mhz 1x8GB (HX318C10F/8)
1xSSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB
1XHDD: Samsung hd642JJ
Intel integrated graphics
1xDVD drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST
1xCase fan: scythe slipstream PWM

PSU is mounted at the top, in the correct position with the ventilation holes on top.

Hush

Post by Hush » Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 pm

It turns out that there was most likely no issue with the enermax 425.
BSOD turned up with the new seasonic at 1.228 during stress test,
now after upping the vcore a notch to 1.232, it passed over 7 hours of stress testing with aida 64.
so it seems that it just needed that little extra voltage
so at least i solved the noise issue by replacing with the fanless seasonic.
although a simple fan swap would've been a much cheaper way of solving it...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 am

It was a learning experience. Enjoy your higher efficiency / fanless PSU.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Sun May 03, 2015 8:52 am

Hush wrote:PSU is mounted at the top, in the correct position with the ventilation holes on top.
Don't think that matter much. In your case the PSU is working as (main?) intake.
Probably ok with your current low power draw but if you are planning to put a videocard in there I have doubts about airflow (or lack of it).