NVR PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sschnee

NVR PSU

Post by sschnee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:05 am

I have a HikVision NVR, which is like a DVR for IP security cameras, in one of my bedrooms at home. Most of the hardware in it is proprietary, which may make this difficult, or not, I don't know.

My issue is that the power supply fan is very loud. It has a 40mmX20mm fan, which I understand usually will be loud fans. I can take the power supply apart and remove the fan, which has two wires coming out of it, but the connector to the PSU itself is non-standard, and so I can't connect a normal Scythe fan to it to see if it's less loud.

Coming out of this PSU is a 6 wire connector going to one circuit board, which I believe is running the NVR software, and other 2 wire connector which I believe is powering the PoE ethernet ports to which my cameras connect. No other power cords come out of the PSU

I'll probably try cutting the wires from the existing fan and splicing them to a new Scythe fan to see if that's helpful, but I don't know how quiet a 40mm fan could be.

My main question is whether I can use a Pico PSU for this somehow? I'll try to attach pictures of the PSU and where they connect.

Thanks,
Schwarf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: NVR PSU

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:34 am

Interesting. :)

A picoPSU will not help you.

That Delta PSU seem to have two rails, +12V and +52V. That six pin connector is probably 3 x +12V (yellow) and 3 x ground (black). You could connect a FanMate or something there and use that to control a normal 3 pin fan.
The other board with the triangle warning symbol probably gets +52V (red) and ground (white).

You could perhaps ditch the Delta PSU and get two bricks, one 12v (5A minimum) and one 52V 2.5A or more (if they are easily available, I don't know). Perhaps the Delta can run fanless if it only has to feed the +52V rail. :) Or at least with the fan at a lower setting.

Either way I'd say that any solution includes the use of a soldering iron. Be very careful, as always when dealing with high voltage.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:14 pm

just run the scythe off a molex/sata connector (maybe with a zalman controler, to dial it in).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:03 pm

xan_user wrote:just run the scythe off a molex/sata connector (maybe with a zalman controler, to dial it in).
Yeah. Keep the old fan's connector as a pigtail, use that to power a Zalman Fan Mate 2, and then run the output to the new fan.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Would a passive solution be possible? A beefy 12V brick like the Dell DA-2 and a "DC-DC 150W Step Up 10-32V to 12V-60V Boost Constant Current Power Apply Module" from eBay. Bad idea?

I don't like 40mm fans, they are loud, or they don't move enough air. I would probably look into modifying the PSU/case to allow for a bigger fan, or try to go fanless.

sschnee

Post by sschnee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:14 am

CA_Steve wrote:
xan_user wrote:just run the scythe off a molex/sata connector (maybe with a zalman controler, to dial it in).
Yeah. Keep the old fan's connector as a pigtail, use that to power a Zalman Fan Mate 2, and then run the output to the new fan.

If I were to power the Fan Mate via the old fan's connector, would I just splice red to red and black to black, ignoring the yellow wire? The PSU has a two pin connector for its fan.

Otherwise, I could get power to a fan via molex, which I would have to split to power both the fan and the hard drive, but I imagine that's easy enough.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:04 am

sschnee wrote:If I were to power the Fan Mate via the old fan's connector, would I just splice red to red and black to black, ignoring the yellow wire?
Yep.

sschnee

Post by sschnee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Just as an update in case it helps others who find this thread, what I wound up doing was this:

Attached a molex power entension cable to the circuit board where the power cable for the HDD had been attached. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003L18WTQ/ref=yo_ii_img

Attached a molex pass through adapter with a 3 pin fan cable to the extension. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M7GXZWK/ref=yo_ii_img

Attached a Zalman fan mate 2 to the 3 pin connector. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000292DO0/ref=yo_ii_img

Removed the loud delta fan from the PSU and replaced it with a Scythe fan, which I powered from the fan mate. The cable threaded through a hole the PSU case no problems. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0016CMCBG/ref=yo_ii_img

The HDD was plugged into the other end of the pass though cable with the 3 pin adapter.

Overall, the Scythe fan is much quieter, but not silent. The Zalman Fan Mate 2 only helps a little. For many people it would be unnecessary.

ccp

Post by ccp » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for sharing. I came across this thread when searching for solutions to help silence my new Hikvision NVR.

Just ordered the parts you recommended and hope everything goes as planned... :wink: