Second thoughts about EVGA G2 750 order...P2 Better?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

aman_74

Second thoughts about EVGA G2 750 order...P2 Better?

Post by aman_74 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello all,

Having heard to many positive things about the EVGA 750 G2 750W I put in an order when a decent deal came up. The more I read though I hear that it's a great quality supply and quiet when in fanless mode, but once the fan does kick in it's not very quiet at all. I can't seem to verify if the P2 version is indeed any different in this regard? If these aren't going to be quiet enough, what are some other suitable choices in the same price range?

My system will be 4690K, probably OC'd. No GPU yet, but would like to be able to get a modest one, something around a 750 or 950. Fractal Design R5.

I went for the bigger supply to hopefully stay under the draw that would cause the fan to kick on. Not sure how close I'll come to that with an OC and a modest card?

Thanks in advance!

Quinnbeast

Re: Second thoughts about EVGA G2 750 order...P2 Better?

Post by Quinnbeast » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:01 pm

I use a 550W Be Quiet PSU (system specs below) and I've never heard the fan ramp up with an Nvidia 780 (fairly big power draw). With a modest GPU, you should be fine in the 500-600W range even with a good overclock on the CPU. I'll leave the specific PSU recommendations to the Pros...

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:I use a 550W Be Quiet PSU (system specs below) and I've never heard the fan ramp up with an Nvidia 780 (fairly big power draw). With a modest GPU, you should be fine in the 500-600W range even with a good overclock on the CPU. I'll leave the specific PSU recommendations to the Pros...
Thanks. I'm probably being overly concerned, but I'd like to get this right the first time and save myself some hassles if I need to put in a return before the item gets here so I can refuse shipment and save on return shipping.

I'm surprised yours doesn't turn on at all, especially since you have less watts. From the numbers I was looking at it looks like mine would definitely turn on while under heavier use and that's a 750w unit. Perhaps I'm wrong and this thing is never even going to turn on, but I see other complaints with people not running 2 cards or anything.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:15 pm

The fan definitely does turn on (even when the system is idle), it's just that there's no audible 'ramping up' in line with increased power draw. It's a low RPM fan and is probably the quietest component in case. It's easily as quiet as the rest of the case fans when they're set around 400-450 RPM (basically inaudible in normal use). From the reviews I read at the time, the max fan speed is about 700 RPM when drawing above the rated limit (600W+), but at that point the system noise will have increased substantially anyway.

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:The fan definitely does turn on (even when the system is idle), it's just that there's no audible 'ramping up' in line with increased power draw. It's a low RPM fan and is probably the quietest component in case. It's easily as quiet as the rest of the case fans when they're set around 400-450 RPM (basically inaudible in normal use). From the reviews I read at the time, the max fan speed is about 700 RPM when drawing above the rated limit (600W+), but at that point the system noise will have increased substantially anyway.
Sounds nice. I don't thing that's the case for the EVGA. Does yours have the Silent Wings 2 in it? I just ordered one for my case as it was on sale and supposed to be nice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:44 pm

aman_74 wrote:I can't seem to verify if the P2 version is indeed any different in this regard?

The P2 has a tad larger fanless operation (about 100-120W more at low ambient temperature).

aman_74 wrote:If these aren't going to be quiet enough,

Their fan kicks in around 800-1000rpm depending of temperature, and they are also ball bearing fans, so they are fairly noticeable. Said that, when their fans kick in, your rig must be already screaming.

aman_74 wrote:what are some other suitable choices in the same price range?

It mostly depends of your local pricing: any link to local price-comparators or shop engines may help to advice you about any possibile, alternative option.

aman_74 wrote:I went for the bigger supply to hopefully stay under the draw that would cause the fan to kick on. Not sure how close I'll come to that with an OC and a modest card?

It mostly depends of the specific graphics card: with the higher consuming GTX 950, your proposed system expected power draw should range from about 160W to 190W at most while gaming, while with a more frugal GTX 750 probably it should range from 110W to 130W.

Take note that an average (to about 4.6-4.8GHz) CPU OC has been already taken into account in those figures (but your mileage may vary depending how good your CPU and you will be at oc'ing), while OC'ing also the proposed GPUs could maybe add further 20W (at worst with the GTX 950) on top of those figures.

A 750W G2 has about 350W of fanless operation with fairly high ambient temperature, I think you may draw a conclusion by yourself.

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
aman_74 wrote:I can't seem to verify if the P2 version is indeed any different in this regard?

The P2 has a tad larger fanless operation (about 100-120W more at low ambient temperature).
That could be significant I suppose...
If these aren't going to be quiet enough
Their fan kicks in around 800-1000rpm depending of temperature, and they are also ball bearing fans, so they are fairly noticeable. Said that, when their fans kick in, your rig must be already screaming.
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but people are saying it's the loudest thing in there system.
what are some other suitable choices in the same price range?
It mostly depends of your local pricing: any link to local price-comparators or shop engines may help to advice you about any possibile, alternative option.
Online shopping in the US. The other option would seem to be the P2. One of the few that seem to actually put a quiet fan in them are the BeQuiet models and it's a bit harder to source them and info about their lines.
I went for the bigger supply to hopefully stay under the draw that would cause the fan to kick on. Not sure how close I'll come to that with an OC and a modest card?
It mostly depends of the specific graphics card: with the higher consuming GTX 950, your proposed system expected power draw should range from about 160W to 190W at most while gaming, while with a more frugal GTX 750 probably it should range from 110W to 130W.

Take note that an average (to about 4.6-4.8GHz) CPU OC has been already taken into account in those figures (but your mileage may vary depending how good your CPU and you will be at oc'ing), while OC'ing also the proposed GPUs could maybe add further 20W (at worst with the GTX 950) on top of those figures.

A 750W G2 has about 350W of fanless operation with fairly high ambient temperature, I think you may draw a conclusion by yourself.
Wow...those numbers are way lower than the calculators...if those numbers are the case with an OC (I won't be overclocking the card), then I shouldn't have to worry about it kicking on too much....only thing is that it does get hot hear, upper 80's Farenheit. Not sure how much that effects it.

The only reason I went up to 750 vs. a 650 or even 550 was to avoid the fan kicking on at all. It seems that perhaps I've achieved my goal?

Thanks for your thoughts. You don't have any other models to recommend looking at?
Last edited by aman_74 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:30 pm

There are current good deals on:

-Cooler Master V650W Plus Gold

-XFX TS Series 750w Plus Bronze (Seasonic I believe)

-Seasonic XP2 660W Platinum

I worry about coil whine with Seasonic, but how are they otherwise?

I'm googling, but not finding a lot yet.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:30 am

aman_74 wrote:Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but people are saying it's the loudest thing in there system.

I'm sorry but I can't help about that, as I don't know what you're talking about.

aman_74 wrote:Online shopping in the US. The other option would seem to be the P2. One of the few that seem to actually put a quiet fan in them are the BeQuiet models and it's a bit harder to source them and info about their lines.

BeQuiet is not an option in North America, sorry, as far as I know their local distribution is spotty at best (to virtually not existent), their pricing scheme is awful.

Noise wise there's the Corsair 650W RMi/RMx but their pricing isn't competitive with EVGA quotes. Then there's the Seasonic 660, which is a fantastic PSU (I own it) with fanless operation strictly depending of ambient temperature (I think I never got less than about 280-300W), and at current NewEgg offer (79 USD after MIR) it would seem something you can't pass it on (the 750 G2 at 90 USD after MIR at NCIX come enough close to it).
All in all, probably a Seasonic 660XP2 is your best bet, money and quality wise, while a 750W G2 / 650W P2 seems your best bet noise-wise (take note that also the 650W G2 is a really valid alternative to the larger sibling, but I don't find any competitive pricing on it, atm). At about 10 bucks more there's the Corsair RM750i on Amazon, which is all in all comparable with the EVGA offering.

aman_74 wrote:Wow...those numbers are way lower than the calculators...

These are the AC figures (inclusive of conversione losses, real DC power draw is about 13% lower) for a more power hungry GTX 960 paired with a 4.6GHz Core i7: 208W at the wall. The GTX-950 may draw 10-20W less, depending of which specific cards you're comparing.

aman_74 wrote:You don't have any other models to recommend looking at?
Given your location and local pricing, probably no: those EVGAs are great, the Seasonic 660 is a worthy contender quality-wise (and an unbeatable value if you trust mail-in rebates), and there's that a good offer about the Corsair RM750i on Amazon, if you mind.

aman_74 wrote:I worry about coil whine with Seasonic, but how are they otherwise?

Electronic noise would seem to affect about 10% of X and P PSUs: often it's light, so you can ignore it, sometimes it's not, your mileage may vary (depending mostly on case and PSU placement).
Eventually whether the possible RMA cost/procedure is not an issue, the Seasonic is one of your best bets under any respect.

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:00 am

quest_for_silence wrote: I'm sorry but I can't help about that, as I don't know what you're talking about.
I was just saying it seems to be common that people are having the fan turn on and be too loud for them.
BeQuiet is not an option in North America, sorry, as far as I know their local distribution is spotty at best (to virtually not existent), their pricing scheme is awful.
Newegg carries them....I just missed a sale. Seems like they should be a good option?
Noise wise there's the Corsair 650W RMi/RMx but their pricing isn't competitive with EVGA quotes. Then there's the Seasonic 660, which is a fantastic PSU (I own it) with fanless operation strictly depending of ambient temperature (I think I never got less than about 280-300W), and at current NewEgg offer (79 USD after MIR) it would seem something you can't pass it on (the 750 G2 at 90 USD after MIR at NCIX come enough close to it).
All in all, probably a Seasonic 660XP2 is your best bet, money and quality wise, while a 750W G2 / 650W P2 seems your best bet noise-wise (take note that also the 650W G2 is a really valid alternative to the larger sibling, but I don't find any competitive pricing on it, atm). At about 10 bucks more there's the Corsair RM750i on Amazon, which is all in all comparable with the EVGA offering.
The 650W P2 over the 750 because it's specifically quieter than the 750, or because the wattage is more appropriate in your view? If the P2 in general gets me about 100 or so more watts of leeway I'd have thought then the 650 P2 and the 750G2's fans would then kick in about the same time? I'm also wondering if there's any difference in the RPM's they start at or it's just a matter of one turning on before the other due to efficiency.
These are the AC figures (inclusive of conversione losses, real DC power draw is about 13% lower) for a more power hungry GTX 960 paired with a 4.6GHz Core i7: 208W at the wall. The GTX-950 may draw 10-20W less, depending of which specific cards you're comparing.
I'll check that out, thanks.

Given your location and local pricing, probably no: those EVGAs are great, the Seasonic 660 is a worthy contender quality-wise (and an unbeatable value if you trust mail-in rebates), and there's that a good offer about the Corsair RM750i on Amazon, if you mind.
I'll check the Amazon offer as well. The Seasonic sounds nice, but in googling I see cases of them developing coil whine down the line and not just being a matter of getting a good one to start and then being all set. It's really disappointing as that's a nice price and seems it will be quiet and is of a good quality.

Thanks for the help!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:37 am

fyi - be Quiet! is selling some models direct via Newegg's marketplace.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:58 am

aman_74 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote: I'm sorry but I can't help about that, as I don't know what you're talking about.
I was just saying it seems to be common that people are having the fan turn on and be too loud for them.

Still I don't understand: who/what/when/how/pic/link...

aman_74 wrote:Newegg carries them....I just missed a sale. Seems like they should be a good option?

Be Quiet E10 500W CM and P11 550W are very good options, probably the best noise signatures in the market.

aman_74 wrote:The 650W P2 over the 750 because it's specifically quieter than the 750, or because the wattage is more appropriate in your view?

The P2 650 is quieter and more efficient than the G2 750.

aman_74 wrote:the 650 P2 and the 750G2's fans would then kick in about the same time?

At low ambient temp, no (the 750 G2 starts before), at high ambient temp it should be no too (but they could tie).

aman_74 wrote:I'm also wondering if there's any difference in the RPM's they start at or it's just a matter of one turning on before the other due to efficiency.

It's mainly due to the PSU intake temp.

aman_74 wrote:The Seasonic sounds nice, but in googling I see cases of them developing coil whine down the line and not just being a matter of getting a good one to start and then being all set.

Such those comments without any reference are uncommentable (by me), sorry.

aman_74

Post by aman_74 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:31 am

I think I'm going to refuse shipment on the EVGA and go with theRM750i on sale. In reading some reviews they say you need the software to change the rails...this is for a Hackintosh, so I won't be able to use that feature. Will it default to the proper setting?

Thanks