Seasonic Titanium PSUs

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

edh

Seasonic Titanium PSUs

Post by edh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Found this on Plug Load Solutions:

Code: Select all

Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd.	SSR-650TD	ATX12V, EPS12V	650	90.82%	93.76%	94.62%	93.45%	Titanium	4/21/2016
Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd.	SSR-750TD	ATX12V, EPS12V	750	91.71%	93.85%	94.59%	92.89%	Titanium	4/21/2016
Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd.	SSR-850TD	ATX12V, EPS12V	850	92.18%	94.44%	94.67%	92.95%	Titanium	4/21/2016
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80Plus ... =60&type=2

No idea on hard release or indeed if this might be retail but it bodes well that a major PSU manufacturer (and OEM for countless others) has a number of Titanium units, even if they've not been the first.

Abula

Re: Seasonic Titanium PSUs

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 pm

SeaSonic Unveils its Flagship Prime Titanium PSU Series
PSU giant SeaSonic unveiled its new flagship PSU line, the Prime Titanium. The company showed off an 850W model from the series at the 2016 Computex show. As its name suggests, the PSU boasts of 80 Plus Titanium efficiency. The PSU offers some of the tightest ripple suppression, at under 20 mV. Its hold-up time is 30 ms, allowing for better protection against erratic AC power (eg: during storms). The Hybrid Fan Control spins up the 140 mm fan only beyond an ideal load/temperature threshold, making the PSU quiet during productivity usage. The unit offers fully modular cabling, with enough cabling for a machine with up to three graphics cards, and a motherboard with two 8-pin EPS inputs.

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:31 am

The Titanium Prime line consists of four members with 850W, 750W, 650W and 600W capacities. The smallest of them uses a passive design, meaning that it doesn't have a cooling fan, offering the lowest possible noise output. To the best of our knowledge, this the only Titanium fanless PSU available on the market. With 600W capacity, the fanless Prime unit will enable a super-silent build that also performs for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/season ... 31902.html

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:12 pm

wow. 600 watt Seasonic fanless :D

That's the dream psu for me. I have been out of the loop so long, I didnt know there was a Titanium efficiency rating. Last i bought was all Platinum was the best out. 460 seasonic platinum fanless i have is great psu. 600 is much more sensible though. Going to be pricey i bet.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:07 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote: Going to be pricey i bet.
For El Jefe, there is no such a thing.

Im also keepin my open on this PRIME PSUs.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:31 pm

true :D

memory_leak

Post by memory_leak » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:48 am

eI just got 520W fanless from seasonic (old model) and the unit is not silent. There is buzzing comming out of it (coil whine) that is louder then my Noctua DH15 (one fan only). The support guy from Seasonic I had mail correspondence with told me over mail that they were updated and should not result in coil whine, but they do :). He reserved himself for possible coil whine due to vga card not conforming to intel standars, but I don't even have graphics card installed, only mobo, cpu, ram and a m.2 disk. No OS installed yet either, no overclock, just bare bones system running bios with no load whatsoever.

No idea if new line is anyhow better construction or if more efficiency can translate to less coil while, but if they are doing same work, be aware. Certainly don't trust their marketing, and wouldn't trust what their engineers say either.

edh

Post by edh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Coil whine is YMMV. There have been certain combinations and motherboard settings linked to whine with Seasonic. If you don't have ErP compliance in your motherboard then there may be some issues is what they've suggested here before.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:18 pm

there are bios settings you can change, and various other things to update. I remember that the coil whine was able to be stopped in most all cases. They couldnt figure it out with you on the phone yet?

read around if you havent on solving it. Maybe look at newegg comments, i saw some there about it.

460 has no whine in my system. I dont know about anything else as I dont have anything else.

memory_leak

Post by memory_leak » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:31 am

Serously dude :roll: :D

I am sitting with bare bones mobo, only cpu + ram + 2x950Pro attached to it, not even connected to chassi. Coil whine starts 5 seconds after the mobo starts, it does not go even through the post. No overclock or anything special done :-). Gigabyte gaming 7 mobo in question, not the hightest end, but not the cheapest one either.

If you believe I haven't done research before I bought it, than you haven't read my other posts about this psu :).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 am

memory_leak wrote:Coil whine starts 5 seconds after the mobo starts
RMA it, or if you can, send it back to the retailer and ask for a refund.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 am

I can say with absolute certainty that either Seasonic will work over the phone to fix it with you, some setting or windows adjustment (I know it is crazy sounding but i have heard that from them) or they will replace it for you. that is the nicest company I have dealt with ever, that and Zalman. Nicest people.

memory_leak

Post by memory_leak » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:03 am

What windows setting? There is not even an OS installed on it yet :-).

I am just sitting and about to install it. I didn't say they are not nice, but their fanless psu:s are not silent! And I am there with all new components, and I don't seem to be the only one. They were nice on the mail, but I can't rma it for coil whine, and sending it over to usa with postal service would cost me probably more than psu :-).

It is probably that you have got lucky if you have one without noise, but to me it seems that more people have problems than those that don't. There is another guy posted in my thread about coil whine also with noisy one.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:39 am

memory_leak wrote:sending it over to usa with postal service would cost me probably more than psu :-)

I don't think you have to send it to USA, Seasonic has regional distributors: contact Seasonic and ask a european RMA authorization.

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:53 pm

memory_leak wrote:What windows setting? There is not even an OS installed on it yet :-).

I am just sitting and about to install it. I didn't say they are not nice, but their fanless psu:s are not silent! And I am there with all new components, and I don't seem to be the only one. They were nice on the mail, but I can't rma it for coil whine, and sending it over to usa with postal service would cost me probably more than psu :-).

It is probably that you have got lucky if you have one without noise, but to me it seems that more people have problems than those that don't. There is another guy posted in my thread about coil whine also with noisy one.
Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry about this problem.
If I'm not wrong, you emailed us last week about this matter and we sent you an email on how it is possible to fix this noise issue. Did you receive it? If yes, kindly reply to us by email and we will be glad to help you. If you didn't receive any reply from us, then kindly contact us again.
About warranty, depending where you are, warranty is different:
- In North America, after 30 days (for most of the shops if I'm not wrong), you will have to contact our RMA Center (California) for them to take care of your claim.
- In Europe, the fastest is to contact first your reseller during the two first years. Then, you can contact us for any RMA. Our RMA center is in Germany for Europe.
- ROW: Contact your reseller first, then our local distributor if needed (you can check here to find them). If no distributor available, just email us and we will sort this out for you.

If you have any question, you can email us anytime or replied to our email and we will be glad to help you.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Seasonic

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

ah! i forgot they are on SPCR :)

Seasonic, yes, best company to deal, them and zalman usa. Anything they make they take 100% pride in and are helpful.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 am

My local hardware dealer is expecting the 650, 750 and 850w Titanium PSUs to arrive on 22 July.

Prices are £169.99, £189.98 and £219.98.

Features include a 135mm FDB fan, an external hybrid switch (next to the mains power switch) and a 10 year warranty.

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:10 am

The first delivery will be the 650 & 750 with the 850 to follow later.
Thanks!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:21 am

Seasonic Rep wrote:The first delivery will be the 650 & 750 with the 850 to follow later.
Thanks!
Thanks for the update - hope you are sending a 650W to MikeC for review :)

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 am

Yes, one unit of the PRIME 650 is slated for Mike's bench.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 am

Awesome!

mikecz

Post by mikecz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 am

What about the 600W?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:12 am

mikecz wrote:What about the 600W?
650, 750, and 850. No 600W.

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
mikecz wrote:What about the 600W?
650, 750, and 850. No 600W.
Hello,

There will be a 600W Titanium Fanless for later in the year.
Thanks.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 am

Wow :)

600 Watt fanless sounds great. I have a 460 fanless platinum and am very happy with it.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 am

Seasonic Rep wrote:There will be a 600W Titanium Fanless for later in the year.
Any lower wattage Titanium fanless versions to replace the Platinum fanless?

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 pm

edh wrote:
Seasonic Rep wrote:There will be a 600W Titanium Fanless for later in the year.
Any lower wattage Titanium fanless versions to replace the Platinum fanless?
Hello,

For now, nothing plan about lower wattage fanless power supply with Titanium certification.
Thanks.

Mackan

Post by Mackan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:02 am

memory_leak wrote:eI just got 520W fanless from seasonic (old model) and the unit is not silent. There is buzzing comming out of it (coil whine) that is louder then my Noctua DH15 (one fan only). The support guy from Seasonic I had mail correspondence with told me over mail that they were updated and should not result in coil whine, but they do :). He reserved himself for possible coil whine due to vga card not conforming to intel standars, but I don't even have graphics card installed, only mobo, cpu, ram and a m.2 disk. No OS installed yet either, no overclock, just bare bones system running bios with no load whatsoever.

No idea if new line is anyhow better construction or if more efficiency can translate to less coil while, but if they are doing same work, be aware. Certainly don't trust their marketing, and wouldn't trust what their engineers say either.
I have had the same experience. Quoting myself from another thread:
Mackan wrote:I have tried two samples of this PSU, and they both had coil whine. Tested with a separate PSU tester, as well in a computer. Tried various recommended BIOS settings. To no help. I own several other PSUs, such as SilverStone and Corsair, and they experience no coil whine. Corsair even has warranty against coil whine.

My conclusion: stay away from this PSU. It's a gamble. With 100% loss in my case. And if Seasonic says they have fixed coil whine, they lie. It's 2016 now. I don't know if I dare try their upcoming fanless Prime model, but in the end, it's the reseller that has to take the cost when I return the units, because I guess Seasonic sees no fault in them. I don't like that. Would be nice if Corsair decided to produce a fanless unit instead.
I don't believe I am too harsh in my comment. I do hope they can somehow fix this in their fanless Prime units, but I don't hold my breath.

Seasonic Rep
-- Vendor --

Post by Seasonic Rep » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:56 am

Sorry for the trouble, then I would highly recommend that you should RMA the unit and we will test the unit again for you.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:08 am

hardwareLUXX review (in German).