Does the g3 have the same noise issues than the g2?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Alsilence

Does the g3 have the same noise issues than the g2?

Post by Alsilence » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:48 pm

The new supernova g3.
I heard the 850W is kinda noisy, but... what about the 650w or lower options?
Thank you.

lodestar

Re: Does the g3 have the same noise issues than the g2?

Post by lodestar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:38 am

Both G2 and G3 PSUs can operate in a fanless ECO mode at lower power demand levels. However if you load them sufficiently then the fan will turn on. Typically this would only be under gaming conditions when case fans, CPU cooler fans and GPU cooler fans are all likely to be contributing much more significantly to overall noise levels than just the PSU fan alone. It is always worth checking any information provided by manufacturers about fan noise, such as this page for the 850w G3 and this page for the 650w G3 from the EVGA website. This seems to confirm your view that the 650w (maximum fan noise 25dBa) would be significantly quieter under load than the 850w which maxes out at 34dBa. These are the manufacturers figures so cannot necessarily be taken as read. It would obviously be useful to have some independent reviews to verify this information.

If I was in the market for a EVGA PSU I would look at the Platinum P2 models over any of the Gold units. There is a premium pricewise but it is not that bad, at least here in the UK. The information published by EVGA suggests that the 850w P2 would be quieter than the G3 up to around 60% load, closer to the 650w G3 in some respects.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 am

lodestar wrote:If I was in the market for a EVGA PSU I would look at the Platinum P2 models over any of the Gold units. There is a premium pricewise but it is not that bad, at least here in the UK. The information published by EVGA suggests that the 850w P2 would be quieter than the G3 up to around 60% load, closer to the 650w G3 in some respects.
I agree with loadstar, personally i own a EVGA 650 P2 installed on my test bench and even loading it with a GTX980Ti has remain quiet, that said, but noise varies and whats tolerable for some its not for others, and also depends on other factors like your base noise levels.

Now if you dont want to spend much, my suggestion is to go with Corsair RM550X, its a very good PSU, and a lot here have gotten good results with it. I have done builds for friends in the past year with 850/750/550 and all builds were very quiet, personally i never even could hear noise coming from the PSU even stressing it.

SamlessStrat

Post by SamlessStrat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:46 am

If you aren't running them over 70% load consistently it'll make it so that you pretty much never will have issues with them in general.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 am

lodestar wrote:Both G2 and G3 PSUs can operate in a fanless ECO mode at lower power demand levels.
Actually the G3 850 and 1000 were reviewed with acoustic data, and both turned out significantly noisy and louder than most G2 units, for several reasons. Also the 750W G3 was reviewed at JonnyGuru and albeit not outright noisy it was noisier than the previous G2 750W (fanless up to 50%, rather than up to 20% as the G3 was).

So, the OP concern is somehow grounded: the 650W is basically untested, ATM, but the 550W close sibling was reviewed by PC Perspective.