EVGA G3 650w buzz during games (also causing electromagnetic

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thraddash

EVGA G3 650w buzz during games (also causing electromagnetic

Post by thraddash » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I recently bought an EVGA Supernova G3 650w, for my new build. It's supposedly an excellent quality top-tier PSU.

My setup is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
Xonar DX soundcard

2x8gb RAM
Samsung M2.NVMe
Samsung 500gb SSD

However, the PSU seems to be buzzing slightly during games, and a replacement unit is doing the same thing. The buzz is mostly in the PSU but sounds as if it's also coming from the GPU. Again, only during heavy GPU activity, or in game menus. The buzz also leaks into my headphones and microphone, so it's seemingly causing some kind of EMI resonance/interference.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to isolate the problem and I'm pretty sure it's the PSU. I've tried a different GPU (760 GTX) in my computer, same problem. I've tried the PSU on a different computer along with my GPU, same problem. So it's seemingly not the motherboard or the GPU at fault (even though it only happens during GPU activity). I've tried a different power socket in the house, same problem. And my previous computer didn't have this issue either. For the record, I'm not using onboard sound, I'm using a Xonar DX soundcard - but again, that isn't what's causing the buzzing. It still happens with the soundcard removed.

It's incredibly upsetting as I can't communicate with friends in-game anymore, not to mention the annoying buzz in my headphones and physically from the computer. It isn't very loud, but it's definitely audible when you've got a very quiet PC. But it's the EMI/leaking into headphones and mic that is the real kicker.

Could it really be the PSU's fault? It certainly seems that way but I thought it was a top quality PSU. At this point I can only assume it is due to a manufacturing method of the PSU though. I'm considering returning this and buying a different brand of PSU in the hopes that will resolve the issue. Surely the G3 is high enough quality that it shouldn't be causing this. But maybe I should get a Corsair RM650X instead?

Please, can someone help me with this?

NeilBlanchard

Re: EVGA G3 650w buzz during games (also causing electromagn

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:47 am

Welcome to SPCR,

EVGA doesn't make their PSU's. It may be FSP (Fortron Source Power) that builds that unit? FSP is a good company. Actually a review on Tom's says that Super Flower makes that particular unit.

This sort of noise is sometimes happens in individual units - variations in parts are unavoidable. It might be able to be RMA'd - have you checked with them?

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 pm

This is the second unit I've tested, I RMA'd the first one. Exact same issue.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Given what you've tried, it's one of two things:

most likely: PSU

way less likely, but possible: bad ground connection at the wall. (yes, could be both places you've tried). Know anybody with an AC socket tester?

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:19 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Given what you've tried, it's one of two things:

most likely: PSU

way less likely, but possible: bad ground connection at the wall. (yes, could be both places you've tried). Know anybody with an AC socket tester?

Thank so much for your insight Steve.

I've tried: plugging the computer into a different wall socket in the house, as well as using a UPS. Would using a UPS solve the issue, if that is what it was? If not, then tonight I might try a bunch of extension cables in order to try yet another power socket in the house.

And in case it matters, my previous computer was on the same socket and didn't do it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:40 pm

A lot of times is a combination of hardware, but that also in most of the time is fixed by changing components.

Have you tried limiting your FPS to see if there is a range that its doing it? in a lot of cases its excess of FPS where some components coil (usually GPUs but sometimes other things).

Either way, in your spot, if you can, i would try to return the EVGA G3 and opt for a different PSU, probably Corsair RM650x would be my pick for similar price range and operation.

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Abula wrote:A lot of times is a combination of hardware, but that also in most of the time is fixed by changing components.

Have you tried limiting your FPS to see if there is a range that its doing it? in a lot of cases its excess of FPS where some components coil (usually GPUs but sometimes other things).

Either way, in your spot, if you can, i would try to return the EVGA G3 and opt for a different PSU, probably Corsair RM650x would be my pick for similar price range and operation.
Thanks so much for your help.

I'm indeed looking at the RM650x right now myself. I was tempted by the 550x but I feel the 650x might be slightly better in terms of efficiency and/or fan staying off longer when under load. Unfortunately no Seasonics available where I am, but I hear the RM650x is excellent anyway.

I've got games limited to 144fps, so really I can't do much else in that area.

It's so upsetting that a brand new line of PSUs (the G3) would do this. It might not even be their fault, but like you can see - I've troubleshooted damn near everything possible and everything points to the PSU (even though the GPU also buzzes identically when it happens).

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:07 pm

thraddash wrote:I'm indeed looking at the RM650x right now myself. I was tempted by the 550x but I feel the 650x might be slightly better in terms of efficiency and/or fan staying off longer when under load. Unfortunately no Seasonics available where I am, but I hear the RM650x is excellent anyway.
Wait for Lucas to see this thread, i believe, he said the RM550X was more quiet because of how the fan profiles were design on each of them, and 550 should be enough for your setup, that said, i doubt either one would be a bad choice.

Be sure to give us some feedback, specially if you go with Corsair RMx series, since its one of the most recommended here, but im interested on seeing if your problem disappears with the PSU change.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:30 am

I like the Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 SSR-650TD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817151158

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I like the Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 SSR-650TD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817151158
Would get a Seasonic but they aren't available in my country.

Corsair RM650x it is (probably).

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Oh. My. God.

I just got my new Corsair RM650x, tried it, and the SAME BLOODY BUZZ IS HAPPENING

What the everloving Christ could be causing this?

As mentioned above I've tried nearly everything possible to isolate the noise, and I was sure it was the PSU based on other factors, but apparently it isn't.

What the hell could it be?! I'll literally pay someone money if they can help diagnose and fix it. I'm exhausted and at my wit's end here.

I seemingly don't have any choice now but to buy an external DAC and pray that it will not pickup the EMI/buzz from the PSU/GPU/whatever. I really wish I didn't have to do that.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 am

It could be the electricity grid - your local electrical supply could be noisy. This could be negated by using a battery backup unit, that isolates your computer from that possible electrical noise. Another thing to check is whether the wall plug(s) you are using are wired correctly; with this kind of device:

It could be one of the other major components in your system - or an interaction between components in your system. Your motherboard and/or your video card could be causing it, or they could be interacting with each other. One way to test this is to use the onboard video, or another video card.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 pm

After changing PSU and still having the issues could be two things, its more likely what niel and steve say, you probably have a bad ground in your house or a cable that its not probably grounded or connected. The other option is that there is still a component that is creating the issue, could be the mothebroard or the GPU, its much easier to test the GPU, so remove the Gigabyte/Aeorus GTX1080Ti, connect your monitor to the motherboard video out, and check if the buzz is gone. If not... could be the motherboard, i still think because of the electromagntic noise, that its more likely to be a wiring of the house issue. I would try it in another room, one that its not in the same circuit as your current room, probably even take it to work or to a friends house and see if the issue is still present there, that can give you point to say if its wiring of the house.

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Excellent advice, thank you so much for your replies.

I can get one of these: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/deta-power-o ... _p00322372 only thing is it says "This device will not differentiate a neutral earth transposition" - does that mean it won't detect if there's a bad ground loop?

Anyway I might get this and try. Though - to be clear - I did already try a UPS with battery, and it still did the noise. So does that mean it's not the power in my house?

Again, my previous computer didn't do this (same house), and it's not JUST the GPU at fault cause I tried swapping out my current 1080ti for my previous 760GTX, and it still did it. I also tried putting my current 1080ti and my current PSU (the new/buzzy one) into my previous computer/my previous motherboard, and it still did the noise - so it's not just the motherboard either.

Honestly I have no f***ing idea what it is!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 am

This UK web site seems to be dealing, or claims to deal with some of the issues you describe. Better yet, maybe, under Stockists they list a company that covers Australia and New Zealand. Their solutions don't look cheap, see the DE2 filter for example but might be worth considering.

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 pm

lodestar wrote:This UK web site seems to be dealing, or claims to deal with some of the issues you describe. Better yet, maybe, under Stockists they list a company that covers Australia and New Zealand. Their solutions don't look cheap, see the DE2 filter for example but might be worth considering.
Thanks so much for your post.

Last night I did one final test, I used the new (buzzy) PSU in my old rig, on it's own. The buzzing was still there, but it was mostly coming from the GPU and was lighter (maybe due to it being a lesser GPU than my 1080ti). I then replaced my old PSU and tested again, and the buzz was there, but again, quite light. I certainly never noticed it when I used to use that computer (due to it being so light no doubt), but most importantly I never got any EMI/feedback in my headphones/mic (again, probably due to it being so light - maybe the feedback was indeed there but just not strong enough to be noticeable).

It seems as if the 'buzz' increases depending on power load, maybe? Seeing as my 1080ti makes it produce a louder buzz. Though we have clearly ruled out the 1080ti on it's own as being the sole culprit.

So maybe this does suggest I have 'dirty power'?? If not, then I really don't know.

As mentioned before, I've tried a battery-UPS, and that didn't solve it. Does that still mean I could have dirty power? As I was under the impression a UPS would solve such an issue.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 am

If it was "dirty" power, then a UPS should have helped. Another thing left to test is whether the plug(s) you are using are wired correctly. You may have a faulty ground?

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:23 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:If it was "dirty" power, then a UPS should have helped. Another thing left to test is whether the plug(s) you are using are wired correctly. You may have a faulty ground?
I ran an extension cable to a different outlet, same result. Maybe I should try another?

At this point it's a total mystery to me, really.

thraddash

Post by thraddash » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:If it was "dirty" power, then a UPS should have helped. Another thing left to test is whether the plug(s) you are using are wired correctly. You may have a faulty ground?
By the way, do you mean the plugs as in the power cables? They're brand new of course, but yes I swapped them anyway, same result.

Or do you mean the power sockets? I tried extension cable to a different one, surely both wouldn't be bad.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:59 am

I mean the wall power outlet plugs. It is possible that ALL the outlets have some sort of wiring error. The building may have a faulty ground, or reversed hot and neutral, etc.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 am

thraddash wrote: Xonar DX soundcard
Have you positioned it as far as possible from graphics card?
(even temperature wise sound card shouldn't be next to hot GPU)
thraddash wrote:As mentioned before, I've tried a battery-UPS, and that didn't solve it. Does that still mean I could have dirty power? As I was under the impression a UPS would solve such an issue.
Only double-conversion/online UPSes clean voltage completely.
But because of losses they themselves need cooling from possibly noisy fan and of course their inverter can buzz...

bburk

Post by bburk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 pm

About the same problem here with a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 except the buzzing occurs at pretty much any random time, not just gaming. System is plugged in to a UPS. It can go hours and be silent, then it starts buzzing. Changing GPUs made no difference & this happens even when there is NO GPU load to speak of. I am only pushing it to 60FPS (at 2160p). The wall outlet has been tested with a receptacle tester.

EVGA has sent me 3 replacements under warranty. The 2 refurbs they sent were even worse, they finally sent me another new PS and it's slightly better. Something is just not compatible and I am stumped. I saw one suggestion to try a Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 650 SSR-650TD. I will try that if no one has any other ideas.

One thing I have been debating on is whether to mount the PS fan side up or fan side down (insert Dr. Suess jokes here...). The case is made for a bottom mounted PS. Down would let it's fan push the air out the bottom and not go through the rest of the system. Up lets the PS vent heat better when it's fan is not running (which is most all of the time), but it is venting the heat up through the system. No components are having heat problems with it up ATM, so unless there is good reason to change that...