low-power, low-sound, low-cost PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ginahoy

low-power, low-sound, low-cost PSU

Post by ginahoy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:13 am

I'm trying to determine if I can use the 160W picoPSU for my new build. They sell a kit with the 160W DC PSU and a high quality 192 AC/DC external transformer.

My mainboard is a Z270 with 2x16GB 2400 RAM and i7 7700K CPU. I originally wanted a 7700T @ 35W, but Abula pointed out elsewhere that have my cake and eat it too with a 7700K. I could down-clock it to operate at 35W, while preserving the option and flexibility of going higher if my computing needs change. Toward that end, I plan to buy the Cryorig H7 cooler, which is rated up to 140W. My OS and data will be stored on an 850 EVO 250GB ssd. I don't plan to install a HDD. I'll be using my existing Evercase 4252, at least for now.

If we assume I turn my 7700K into a 7700T @ 35W, I don't imagine the 160W picoPSU would have any problem powering this setup if I use on-board graphics. What I'd like to know is can I safely add the 35W Nvidia GT 1030 (passive version) to this setup? And if so, would it provide any benefit over the integrated HD 630 GPU?

Here's a link to the PSU: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT- ... -Power-Kit
And the manual, which shows limits per rail: http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PW ... manual.pdf

I appreciate the advice!

Abula

Re: low-power, low-sound, low-cost PSU

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:41 am

I run a 4770k with picopsu150xt + 150w brick 24/7 for 3 years, and no issues. But at full load it can reach 150w, the 7700k should be more efficient, but also clocks higher, my guess is it will be close to the same as mine, but I don't own one to say for sure, this load is with prime95 though it's very unlikely that the setup will ever reach that high, in my cammi build usually maintains at 65w with peaks around 120w.

I would avoid the 1030, intel 630 should be good for everything aside gaming, also not only you will add something that will draw more power but discharge heat on the case, test it with the iGpu first, Linux should support the iGpu. You can always add the dedicated GPU later if you feel you will gain something extra with it.

IIRC, the 7700k doesn't come with a cooler, what's the max height the evercase allows? If you like the Cryo7 and know it will fit, go for it, its cheap, not the best fans but its ok. You should also consider having the 80mm case fans populated to have some airflow in the case, Noctua has some nice cheap fans at 80mm, depending on the motherboard fan control, you could go with Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM or Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800, there is another quieter option, but barely moves air, i prefer the two before if you going to control them with the bios, but just for sakes, Noctua NF-R8 redux-1200.

Btw in case you want to see a video of underclocking on bios, check UNDERCLOCKING my i5 CPU to 800MHz, you can also undervolt, but its up to you, i would say start with underclocking test it under your linux environment and then decide. Rememeber to get a Z270 motherboard with good bios fan control, i would recommend MSI or AsRock, i can help you set it up if you need it.

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for confirmation on your experience with picoPSU.

On my first look, I was put off by the caveat (in 150W manual) that sustained combined load should not exceed 65% of maximum load or 65C, whichever occurs first. However, the 160W manual doesn't have that caveat. Instead it advises that it may be necessary to de-rate the 3.3V & 5V rail in order to keep psu temp below 65C. The problem is, I don't know how I can monitor that! But since the only components I'll have that use those lines are low power (ssd, mobo/chipset/ram, fans), I can't imagine the picoPSU components will get very hot.
Abula wrote:I would avoid the 1030, intel 630 should be good for everything aside gaming... test it with the iGpu first, Linux should support the iGpu. You can always add the dedicated GPU later
I did a bit of research, and now that I understand better how power is distributed (in particular, that video cards powered via PCIe x16 slot don't affect picoPSU since it merely passes through the 12V line), I have my eyes on the GTX 1050 (75W peak), which in theory should work fine with picoPSU-160XT + 192W AC adapter kit. However, I noticed this kit still has 8A max power limit (sustained) on 12V line, same as the 150XT! That doesn't make sense. The AC brick has 42W more capacity so it seems like it could handle a higher sustained load. (although the 12V peak does increase from 10A to 15A.)

In any case, I'm taking your advice and starting with integrated HD 630. But if the 160W/192W pico kit can't handle a 75W video card, I may opt for a conventional semi-passive PSU, such as the highly rated EVGA 450 B3. The reviews are just in and they look sweet. This PSU only costs $50 and should remain silent for any load I might throw at it. Plus it would allow me to crank up my CPU or go with a more powerful video card if my needs were to change.
what's the max height the evercase allows?
The Cyrorig H7 is same height as my current cooler (see sig), which has 16mm to spare.
You should also consider having the 80mm case fans populated to have some airflow in the case
I plan to start with my current exhaust fan (KAZE-JYUNI 120mm) and see if I need to add anything.

Thanks for the underclocking video. That's definitely something I can benefit from!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm not suggesting you do this, but it is possible to feed stuff +12V directly from the brick. I did this on several of my "high performance" picoPSU builds in the past.

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Vicotnik wrote:I'm not suggesting you do this, but it is possible to feed stuff +12V directly from the brick. I did this on several of my "high performance" picoPSU builds in the past.
How would that be different from how it's typically set up? As I understand it, the 12V line simply passes through the pico board, so essentially it's feeding 12V directly from he brick, no? Did you use the same brick to feed the picoPSU / 3.3V & 5V lines?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Even if the picoPSU just passes the +12V rail on untouched there's still a limit. The traces and the cables can only take so much. The problem with feeding stuff from the brick directly is that we can have cases when the brick is on, feeding stuff 12V, while the picoPSU is off. Maybe that's not healthy. Other than that, the 4pin CPU connector is just +12V and ground, twice. The PCIe connectors are more of the same. With a strong enough brick, the sky is the limit. :)